This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Driver Interactions with an Inflating Air Cushion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Conceptually, a steering wheel mounted air cushion is inflated before the upper torso of the driver significantly interacts with the cushion. However, this might not be the case for some seating postures or vehicle crash environments which could cause the driver to significantly interact with an inflating cushion.
These experiments utilized several environments to study the interaction between an inflating driver air cushion and mechanical surrogates. In these laboratory environments, the measured responses of mechanical surrogates increased with diminishing distance between the surrogate's sternum and the steering wheel mounted air cushion.
CitationHorsch, J. and Culver, C., "A Study of Driver Interactions with an Inflating Air Cushion," SAE Technical Paper 791029, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/791029.
- Smith, G.R. Harite, S. S. Yanick, A. J. General Motors Greer, C. R. M.D. St. Joseph Hospital Houston, Texas “Human Volunteer Testing of GM Air Cushions.” 2nd International Conference on Passive Restraints May 22-25 1972 SAE No. 720143
- Smith, G. R. Gulash, E. C. Baker, R. G. “Human Volunteer and Anthropomorphic Dummy Tests of General Motors Driver Air Cushion System.” International Conference on Occupation Protection 3rd Conference Proceedings 1974 SAE No. 740578
- Aldman, B. M.D. Department of Traffic Safety, Chalmers University of Technology Anderson, A. M.D. Saxmark, O. Eng. AB Valvo Goteborg Sweden “Possible Effects of Air Bag Inflation on a Standing Child.” Proceedings of the 18th Conference of the American Association for Automotive Medicine 1974
- Patrick, L. M. Nyquist, G. W. “Air Bag Effects on the Out-of-Position Child.” 2nd International Conference on Passive Restraints Detroit, Michigan May 22-25 1972 SAE Transactions 720942
- Wu, H. Tang, S. C. Petrof, R. C. “Interaction Dynamics of an Inflating Air Bag and a Standing Child.” Automobile Engineering Meeting Detroit, Michigan May 14-18 1973 SAE Paper 730604
- Louckes T. N. et al “General Motors Driver Air Cushion Restraint System.” SAE Paper No. 730605
- Foster, J. K. Kortge, J. O. Wolanin, M. J. “Hybrid III-A Biomechanically-Based Crash Test Dummy.” 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference October 19-21 1977 New Orleans, Louisiana SAE Paper 770938
- Neathery, R. F. Kroell, C. K. Mertz, H. J. “Prediction of Thoracic Injury from Dummy Responses.” 19th Stapp Car Crash Conference November 1975