This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A KINEMATIC APPROACH TO CRUSHING OF SHELL STRUCTURES
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The crushing process of thin platic shells is formulated as a problem of isometric transformation of surfaces. In terms of mechanics isometric transformation means inextensible deformation of the shell middle surface. In order to identify the mechanism of the formation of folds tests were performed on axially compressed P.V.C. cylindrical panels. A simple method was then developed for predicting the force-shortening characteristics and mean crushing strength of compressed members.
CitationAbramowicz, W. and Wierzbicki, T., "A KINEMATIC APPROACH TO CRUSHING OF SHELL STRUCTURES," SAE Technical Paper 790992, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790992.
- Horton W.H. Bailey S.C. Edwards A.M. Nonsymmetric buckle patterns in progressive plastic buckling, Experimental Mechanics 6 9 1966 433 444
- Soden P.D. Al-Hassani S.T.S. Johnson W. The crumpling of polivinylchloride tubes under static and dynamic axial loads Institute of Physics Conference 21 327 338
- Ohokubo Y. Akamatsu T. Shirasawa K. Mean crushing strength of closed-hat section members SAE Paper No.7400400.
- Aya N. Takahashi K. Energy absorbing characteristics of vehicle body structure (Part I) Transaction of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 7 1974
- Abramowicz W. Energy absorption of thin-walled metal columns (in Polish) Institute of Fundamental Technological Research Technical Report No.19/79
- Johnson W. Soden P.D. Al-Hassani S.T.S. Inextensional collapse of thin-walled tubes under axial compression, J.Strain Analysis 12 4 1977 317 330
- Pogorielov A.V. Bending of Convex Surfaces Moscow 1951
- Pogorielov A.V. Geometrical Methods in Nonlinear Theory of Elastic Shells Izd.Nauka, Moscow 1967
- Abramowicz W. Calculations of crushing strength of sheet metal structures
- Hopkins H.G. On the behaviour of infinitely long rigid-plastic beams under transverse concentrated load J.Mech.Phys. Solids 4 1955 38 52
- Ponter A.R.S. Martin J.B. Some extremal properties and energy theorems for inelastic materials and their relationship to the deformation theory of plasticity J.Mech.Phys. Solids 20 1972 281
- Postlethwaite H.E. Mills J. Use of collapsible structural elements as impact isolators with special reference to automotive applications J.Strain Analysis 5 1970 58 73