This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Concept for a Chassis Mounted Capsule of Engine and Gearbox for Heavy Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The proposed reduction of noise by international legislation will probably result in a limit of 80 dB(A), measured according to ISO R 362. In order to obtain a uniform noise level for all categories of vehicles, the 80 dB(A)-limit is also forecast for heavy trucks in about 5 to 10 years. With a high powered conventional Diesel-engine, this limit can only be reached by complete enclosure of engine and gearbox. In this paper, we present a capsule mounted on the chassis, adapted to the cramped space conditions in a European truck. The design has the advantage of ease of maintenance, since it is possible to attatch the upper capsule parts to the tipping-cab. The results of the noise and temperature measurements are also reported. The great reduction of the surface noise by the capsule requires the installation of a radiator-fan-system, which is designed to reduce noise considerably.
|Technical Paper||Engine Noise Reduction for Lower External Noise Levels of Passenger Cars|
|Technical Paper||Integration of Engine Controls, Exhaust Components and Advanced Catalytic Converters for ULEV and SULEV Applications|
CitationKrisper, G. and Kratochwill, H., "Concept for a Chassis Mounted Capsule of Engine and Gearbox for Heavy Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 790449, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790449.
- Thien G. E. “Possibilities of Reducing the Noise Level of Diesel Engines” 7 Juli 1972 261 269
- Huber E. W. Wodiczka E. “Combustion Noise Analysis of Diesel Engines with Different Combustion Systems” 4 1970 153 156
- Thien G. E. Fachbach H. A. “Design Concepts of Diesel Engines with Low Noise Emission” SAE-Paper 750838 1975
- Fachbach H. A. Thien G. E. “Design Concepts of Diesel Engines with Low Noise Emission” 10 1975 261 266
- Thien G. E. Fachbach H. A. “Quiet Automobiles - A Realistic Objective.” FISITA 1976 Tokyo
- Fachbach H. A. Thien G. E. FISITA 1978 Budapest “A New Way to a Vehicle-Engine with Low Noise Emission”