This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
RTV Silicone Rubber Formed-In-Place Gaskets
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
RTV silicone formed-in-place gaskets are used throughout industry as a replacement for preformed cork, paper, and rubber gaskets. The RTV silicone rubbers offer a unique property, performance and cost profile that make them ideally suited for formed-in-place gas-keting applications.
The concept is rather simple. A thin bead of paste consistency RTV silicone is applied to one of two mating surfaces. When assembled the RTV silicone flows between them filling all voids and irregularities. The gasket cures to a solid silicone rubber gasket that has excellent flexibility, thermal stability and fluid resistance.
|Technical Paper||RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealants|
|Technical Paper||Formed-in-Place RTV Silicone Gaskets|
|Technical Paper||Anaerobic Liquid Form-In-Place Gasketing Compounds|
CitationClark, W., "RTV Silicone Rubber Formed-In-Place Gaskets," SAE Technical Paper 790349, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790349.
- Maudlin M. A. “Formed-in-place RTV Silicone Gaskets” Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, MI January 10 1972
- Maudlin M. A. “Gaskets by the Gallon” “Machine Design” January 13 1972
- Maudlin M. A. Dow Corning Laboratory Reference Book No. B-1964 March 4 1970
- Hilliard J. R. “Formed-in-place Gasketing with Silicone” S. A. E. 750746 September 1975
- “Selection Guide: Application Dispensing Systems for Formed-in-place Gaskets Using RTV Silicone Rubber” Dow Corning Bulletin No. 61-333