This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Turbocharging Four-Cycle Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The interaction of turbocharger characteristics with engine design and performance parameters is presented. Turbocharger matching requires a compromise among the following variables: combustion air-fuel ratio, turbocharger characteristics, peak cylinder pressures, engine speed range capability, transient response, and overall package efficiency. The mechanisms of interactions of the above variables are reviewed to highlight the turbocharged engine designers problems. The impact of turbocharger performance limits on overall engine characteristics is reviewed with special attention focused on what limitations point out as the turbomachinery designers' job for the future.
CitationFlynn, P., "Turbocharging Four-Cycle Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 790314, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790314.
- Rodgers C. “Typical Performance Characteristics of Gas Turbine Radial Compressors” Journal of Engineering Power April 1964
- Woollenweber W. E. “The Turbocharger--A Vital Part of the Engine Intake and Exhaust System” SAE Paper 700534 1970
- Clarke J. M. “The Thermodynamic Cycle Requirements for Very High Rational Efficiencies” Sixth Thermodynamics Mechanical Engineers 1976
- Freeman P. F. Walsham B. E. “A Guide to Some Analytical Turbocharger Matching Techniques” I.Mech.E. April 1978
- Marzovic M. Watson N. “Load Acceptance of Turbocharged Diesel Engines” I.Mech.E. April 1978
- Watson N. Marzovic M. Baazaari Z. “Turbocharger System Options for Vehicle Engines” I.Mech.E. April 1978
- Ghadiri-Zareh M. S. Wallace F. J. “Variable Geometry vs. Two-Stage Turbocharging of High Output Diesel Engines” I.Mech.E. April 1978
- Benson R. S. “A Comparative Study of Cyclic Operating Conditions in Compressor Delivery in Single and Two Stage Turbochargers Under High Boost Conditions” I.Mech.E. April 1978
- Ellison L. F. Partridge J. M. “Vane Vibration in Radial Flow Turbochargers” I.Mech.E. April 1978