This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Catalyst Systems with an Emphasis on Three-Way Conversion and Novel Concepts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects accruing from the choice of precious metals and their relative ratios are considered in catalyst systems used in VW and AUDI cars under open loop conditions and dynamic closed loop controlled engine conditions in conjunction with an exhaust gas oxygen sensor. The best catalyst system for three-way activity found when comparing major manufacturer technologies was the system Pt/Rh = 5:1 which is introduced in two 1979 engine families sold in California, VW microbus and Audi 5000.
This paper discusses also the interrelationship between window and sensor characteristic and novel emission control concepts including metal supported catalysts and catalysed exhaust pipes for the improvement of warm-up.
CitationOser, P., "Catalyst Systems with an Emphasis on Three-Way Conversion and Novel Concepts," SAE Technical Paper 790306, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790306.
- Öser P., Pundt D.H. and Buttgereit W. “Engine Testing of Catalysts, Conversion Versus Inlet Conditions”. SAE-Paper 720482 presented at Automotive Engineering Meeting Detroit, May 1972.
- Öser P. “Calculation of Equivalence Ratio λ from the Exhaust Gas Composition”. VW Internal Report, Wolfsburg, January 1973.
- Öser P. et. al. “Catalytic Control of Exhaust Emissions by Metal Supported Precious Metal Catalysts”, ISATA-Paper, presented at International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation, Wolfsburg, May 1977
- Öser P., Cooper B.J. and Shutt E. “Sulfate Emissions from Automobile Exhaust, the Influence of a Catalytic Emission Control System”, Platinum Metals Review, London, April 1976.
- Cohn J.G. et.al. “Effect of Three-Way Conversion Catalyst Operation on the Chemical State of Automotive Sulfur Emissions”. SAE-Paper 750096
- Gandi H.S. et.al. “Evaluation of Three-Way Catalysts Part II” SAE-Paper 770196
- Bradow R.L. and Stump F.D. “Unregulated Emissions from Three-Way Catalyst Cars.” SAE-Paper 770369.
- Seiter R.E. and Clark R.J. “Ford Three-Way Catalyst and Feedback Fuel Control System”. SAE-Paper 780203.
- Canale R.P. et.al. “General Motors Phase II Catalyst System”. SAE-Paper 780205.
- Gantzert T.R. et.al. “Feedback Controlled Carburetion System Using Air Bleeds” SAE-Paper 770352
- Koberstein E. “Characterization of Multifunctional Catalysts for Automotive Exhaust Purification”. SAE-Paper 770366.
- Mooney J.J. et.al. “Three-Way Conversion Catalysts Part of the New Emission Control System”. SAE-Paper 770365.