This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Moped Directional Dynamics and Handling Qualities
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Analytical results describing moped lateral-directional response properties are presented. Design characteristics of four example mopeds related to directional handling are presented and compared with sample motorcycle properties. Resultant moped dynamics are quantified and compared. Using a nominal moped example, the sensitivity of the vehicle dynamics to operational and design variables, such as speed, loading and tire properties, is shown. Implications for rider/moped handling are reviewed.
|Technical Paper||Motorcycle Dynamics-Fact,Fiction and Folklore|
|Technical Paper||Equations of Motion to Describe Motorcycle Handling Torque Characteristic in Time of Steady-state Cornering Motion at a Large Bank Angle|
CitationZellner, J. and Weir, D., "Moped Directional Dynamics and Handling Qualities," SAE Technical Paper 790260, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790260.
- “Motorcycle Dynamics and Rider Control.” SAE SP-428 February 1978
- Weir D. H. Zellner J. W. Teper G. L. “Motorcycle Dynamics.” Systems Technology, Inc. May 1978
- Sharp R. S. “The Stability and Control of Motorcycles,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 13 5 August 1971 316 329
- Weir D. H. “Motorcycle Handling Dynamics and Rider Control and the Effect of Design Configuration on Response and Performance.” University of California at Los Angeles June 1972
- Rice R. S. Davis J. A. Kinkel D. T. “Accident-Avoidance Capabilities of Motorcycles.” Calspan Corp. Report ZN-5571-V-1 and V-2 July 1975
- Zellner J. W. Weir D. H. “Development of Handling Test Procedures for Motorcycles.” SAE SP-428 February 1978
- “Accident Avoidance Capabilities of Mopeds.” NHTSA Contract DOT-HS-7-01719 September 1977
- Weir D. H. Zellner J. W. “Lateral-Directional Motorcycle Dynamics and Rider Control.” SAE SP-428 February 1978
- Segel L. “Requirements for Describing the Mechanics of Tires Used on Single-Track Vehicles.” IUTAM Symposium on Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and Railway Tracks Delft August 1975