This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of Trailer Stability Through Simple Analytical Methods and Test Procedures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper provides approximate factors, measurement techniques, and test procedures that can be used to determine trailer stability. The recommended performance metric is damping ratio, or an equivalent cycle to half amplitude which is evaluated, via a pulse-steer procedure, at some reference speed. A minimum damping ratio criteria of 0.15 at 55 mph is suggested and compared to the results of recent full scale tests. The approach is useful in selecting a minimum value of hitch load (for various weight tow cars) that will insure a minimum acceptable level of trailer stability at highway speeds.
CitationKlein, R. and Szostak, H., "Determination of Trailer Stability Through Simple Analytical Methods and Test Procedures," SAE Technical Paper 790186, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790186.
- Wojcik, C. K. Mellinger R. L. “Pilot Study of Housetrailer and Truck Camper Safety, Phase 2” Dec. 1971
- “Motor Vehicle Safety Regulation. Docket No. 28; Notice 2, Consumer Information; Trailer Towing Performance - Passenger Cars.” 35 157 Aug. 13 1970
- Johnston, Donald E. Zellner John W. Ashkenas Irving L. “Handling Test Procedures for Passenger Cars Pulling Trailers. Vol. II: Technical Report,” June 1976
- Bernard, J. E. Winkler C. B. Campbell J. D. Gupta R. K. “Trailer Brake Performance; Final Technical Report,” Nov. 1976
- “Travel and Camper Trailer Safety,” General Services/Distribution NHTSA Washington, D. C.
- Korn, Wayne “Travel Trailer Design and Construction - How It Relates to Tow-ability, Travel Trailer Towing,” SAE 1964 11
- Klein, Richard H. Szostak Henry T. “Effects of Weight Distributing Hitch Torque on Car-Trailer Directional Control and Braking,” Oct. 1977
- “Car Trailer Handling Standards Development,” Sept. 1977
- McRuer, Duane Klein Richard “Effects of Automobile Steering Characteristics on Driver/Vehicle Performance for Regulation Tasks,” SAE Paper 760778 Oct. 1976
- “Vehicle Dynamics Terminology,” SAE J670d July 1975
- Bundorf, R. Thomas “Directional Control Dynamics of Automobile-Travel Trailer Combinations,” SAE Paper 670099 Jan. 1967