This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Control Optimization Via Nonlinear Programming
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A procedure has been developed for establishing optimum engine performance, in terms of fuel economy and exhaust emission constraints, as a function of spark advance, exhaust gas recirculation and air-to-fuel ratio. The salient features of the procedure are: (i) it is based on mathematical engine models that have been validated over a driving cycle on an engine dynamometer, (ii) it is based on solving a nonlinear programming problem with equality and inequality constraints, and (iii) the results of the optimization are used to develop control calibrations that can be implemented on a vehicle. This paper describes the procedure to determine optimal calibrations for a fuel injected spark ignition engine under warmed-up operating conditions. Validation of these results on an actual vehicle has yet to be demonstrated.
CitationRao, H., Cohen, A., Tennant, J., and Van Voorhies, K., "Engine Control Optimization Via Nonlinear Programming," SAE Technical Paper 790177, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790177.
- Tennant J. A. Giacomazzi R. A. Powell J. David Rao H. S. “Development and Validation of Engine Models via Automated Dynamometer Tests.” SAE Paper No. 790178 1979
- Prahbakar R. Citron S. J. Goodson R. E. “Optimization of Automotive Engine Fuel Economy and Emissions.” ASME Publication 75 WA/Aut-19 Dec. 1975
- Rishavy E. A. Hamilton S. C. Ayers J. A. Keane M. A. “Engine Control Optimization for Best Fuel Economy with Emission Constraints.” SAE Publication 770075 Feb. 1977
- Cassidy J. F. “A Computerized On-Line Approach to Calculating Optimum Engine Calibrations.” SAE Publication 770078 Feb. 1977
- Powell J. D. “An Efficient Method for Finding the Minimum of a Function of Several Variables without Calculating Derivatives.” Computer J. 7 1964
- Auiler J. E. Zbrozek J. D. Blumberg P. N. “Optimization of Automotive Engine Calibration for Better Fuel Economy - Methods and Applications.” SAE Publication 770076 Feb. 1977
- Baker R. E. Daby E. E. “Engine Mapping Methodology.” SAE Publication 770077 Feb. 1977
- Dohner A. R. “Transient System Optimization of an Experimental Engine Control System Over the Federal Emissions Driving Schedule.” SAE Publication 780286 Feb. 1978
- Matsumoto K. et al. “Engine Control Optimization for Smaller Passenger Cars.” SAE Publication 780590 1978
- Lasdon L. S. “Optimization Theory for Large Systems.” MacMillan New York 1970
- Everett H. “Generalized Lagrange Multiplier Method for Solving Problems of Optimum Allocation of Resources.” Operations Res. 11 1963 399 417
- Bertsekas D. “Multiplier Methods: A Survey.” Automatica 12 2 133 145 1976
- Hestenes M. R. “Multiplier and Gradient Methods.” J. Opt. Theory Appl. 4 303 320 1969
- Powell J. D. “A Method for Nonlinear Constraints In Minimization Problems.” Fletcher R. Academic Press New York 1969
- Goldfarb D. “Extension of Davidon's Variable Metric Method to Maximization Under Linear Inequality and Equality Constraints.” SIAM J. Appl. Math. 17 4 739 763 1969