This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Minimizing the Weight of Aluminum Body Panels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
General guidelines are provided in this paper that can minimize the weight of aluminum body panels. Denting, local stiffness, torsional and/or bending stiffness, strength, and vibration of body panels are considered. High strength alloys will provide the least panel weight when the governing criteria are denting, permanent set and crippling. Redesign to reduce size of unsupported outer panel areas or to increase inner panel rib size will provide the least weight when the governing criterion is stiffness.
CitationRolf, R., Sharp, M., and Herbein, W., "Minimizing the Weight of Aluminum Body Panels," SAE Technical Paper 790164, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790164.
- Evancho J. W. and Kaufman J. G., “New 6XXX-Series Alloys for Auto Body Sheet”, SAE Paper 770307, February, 1977.
- Rolf R. L., Sharp M. L. and Stroebel H. H., “Structural Characteristics of Aluminum Body Sheet”, SAE Paper 770200, February, 1977.
- Niemeier B. N. and Burley C. E., “Hailstone Response of Body Panels - Real and Simulated”, SAE Paper 780398, February, 1978.
- DiCello J. A. and George R. A., “Design Criteria for the Dent Resistance of Auto Body Panels”, SAE Paper 740081, February, 1974.
- Chang D. C. and Justusson J. W., “Structural Requirements in Material Substitution for Car-Weight Reduction”, SAE Paper 760023, February, 1976.
- George R. A., Swenson W. E. and Adams D. G., “Aluminum in Automobiles: Why and How It's Used”, SAE Paper 760164, February, 1976.
- Burley C. E., Niemeier B. A. and Koch G. P., “Dynamic Denting of Auto Body Panels”, SAE Paper 760165, February, 1976.
- Johnson, T. E. Jr. and Schaffnit W. O., “Dent Resistance of Cold-Rolled Low-Carbon Steel Sheet”, SAE Paper 730528, May, 1973.
- Chang D. C. and Barone M. R., “Structural Optimization in Panel Design”, SAE Paper 770610, February, 1977.
- Adams D. G., “Automobile Panel Sweep Stiffness Analysis”, SAE Paper 740080, February, 1974.
- “Section 1 - Specifications for Aluminum Structures”, Aluminum Construction Manual, The Aluminum Association, Inc., New York, New York, April, 1976.
- “Data on Aluminum Alloy Properties and Characteristics for Automotive Application”, Bulletin T9, The Aluminum Association, Inc., New York, New York, January, 1977.