This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Mathematical Technique for Predicting Equilibrium Rolling Resistance of Tires from Short Duration Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A TECHNIQUE using an exponential least squares fit to analyze the behavior of measured nonsteady-state rolling resistance data and to compute the equilibrium rolling resistance force is discussed. Raw data are filtered analytically to reduce amplitude fluctuations prior to applying the technique. The method has been applied to rolling resistance tests conducted at the Calspan Tire Research Facility on tires in a free-rolling straight-ahead condition, under constant velocity and load. The use of the prediction technique is demonstrated for 12 passenger car tires that were tested under equilibrium conditions.
|Technical Paper||SAE Interlaboratory Test for Rolling Resistance of Passenger Car Tires - Part I: Data Variation Within and Between Laboratories|
|Technical Paper||Interlaboratory Tests for Tire Rolling Resistance|
CitationBrown, C. and Gusakov, I., "A Mathematical Technique for Predicting Equilibrium Rolling Resistance of Tires from Short Duration Tests," SAE Technical Paper 790118, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790118.
- KLamp W. K. “Power Consumption of Tires Related to How They Are Used,” McCreary Tire & Rubber Co. “Tire Rolling Losses and Fuel Economy - An R & D Planning Workshop,” October 18-20 1977 Transportation Systems Center Cambridge, Massachusetts SAE Conference Proceedings 74
- Hurter D. A. “A Study of Technological Improvements in Automobile Fuel Consumption,” December 1974
- Schuring D. J. Bird K. D. Martin J. F. “Power Requirements of Tires and Fuel Economy,” “Tire Science & Technology,” 2 3 November 1974
- “Rolling Resistance Measurement Procedure for Passenger Car Tires,” Appendix, Draft Proposal SAE Recommended Practice Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. November 1978
- Schuring D. J. “Rolling Resistance of Tires Measured Under Transient and Equilibrium Conditions on Calspan's Tire Research Facility,” Final Report, Report No. DOT-TSC-OST-76-9 March 1976
- Gusakov I. Schuring D. J. Kunkel D. “Rolling Resistance of Truck Tires as Measured Under Equilibrium and Transient Conditions on Calspan's Tire Research Facility,” Report No. DOT-TST-78-1, Final Report October 1977
- Gusakov I. Tapia G. A. Bogdan L. “Equilibrium and Transient Rolling Resistance of Heavy Truck Tires Measured on Calspan's Tire Research Facility,” Contract No. DOT-OS-60156, Final Report August 1978
- Lippmann S. A. “Forces and Torques Associated with Roughness in Tires,” 1961 SAE National Automobile Week March 13-17 1961
- Bogdan L. Gusakov I. “Results of Energy-Loss Measurements on Passenger Car Tires Operating in the Free-Rolling and Braking/Traction Modes,” Calspan Report No. 6297-T October 1978