This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Engine Wear with Spin - On By - Pass Lube Oil Filters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engine tests were conducted to determine the effects of various full flow and by-pass lube oil filter combinations on diesel engine wear. The filter performance was determined by measuring the wear of piston rings, main and rod bearings in a Cummins NTC-335, after contaminating the lube system with a known amount of AC Fine Dust to accelerate wear.
The results of these tests prove:
It is possible to dramatically reduce the size of the by-pass filter through the use of stacked discs filter technology.
No sacrifice of engine protection or filter life is necessary.
By-pass filters extend engine life through improved filtration and reduced wear providing the lowest total cost to the engine user.
|Technical Paper||Lube Oil Filtration Effect on Diesel Engine Wear|
|Technical Paper||The Influence of Varied Filter Systems on Engine Wear and Lube Oil Service Life|
|Technical Paper||Correlating Lube Oil Filtration Efficiencies with Engine Wear|
CitationPhillips, O., Lane, P., and Shadday, M., "Diesel Engine Wear with Spin - On By - Pass Lube Oil Filters," SAE Technical Paper 790089, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790089.
- Brown P. I. “Filtration with Highly Dispersant Diesel Engine Oils,” Paper No. 670957 presented at SAE Fuels and Lubricants Power Plant and Transportation Meetings Pittsburg November 1967
- Culbert Robert M. Thomas Gary E. “Ingested Dust, Filters, and Diesel Engine Ring Wear,” Paper No. 680536 presented at SAE West Coast meeting San Fransisco August 1968
- McClelland James E. Billett S. Martin “Filter Life Versus Engine Wear” Paper No. 650886 presented at SAE National Fuels and Lubricants meeting 1965
- Butler J. L. Stewart J. P. Teasley R. E. “Lube Oil Filtration Effect on Diesel Engine Wear” Paper No. 710813 presented at National Combined Fuels and Lubricants Power Plants and Trucks Meeting St. Louis October 1971
- Schmidt K. “Dust Test Influence of By-pass Filter on Wear” Cummins Engineering Technical Center June 1973
- Butler J. L. “Analysis of Lube Oil Filtration Data” Cummins Engineering Technical Center May 1971
- Hudgens R. D. Feldhaus L. B. “Diesel Engine Lube Filter Life Related to Oil Chemistry” Paper No. 780974 , presented at the International Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Toronto November 1978