This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermodynamic Efficiency Evaluation of an Indirect Injection Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The lower efficiency of the indirect-injection diesel engine, with respect to the direct injection type, is due to additional heat transfer from the combustion chamber, gas pumping between chambers, later injection timing and a different burning rate schedule.
The paper describes a project to isolate and quantify these reasons for low efficiencies, using a mathematical model, supported by experimental verification.
The model is based on a two-zone system (main and pre-chamber), with component models for heat transfer, gas flow through the passage etc. Experimentally derived heat release schedules in main and pre-chamber are used.
It is shown that for a 0.1 m bore engine, with a Ricardo Comet Vb pre-chamber, the different burning rate schedule is the major contribution to the difference in efficiency, with injection timing and gas pumping being the least significant.
|Technical Paper||An Analytical Evaluation of the Effect of Leakage on NO Emissions from a Rotary Engine|
|Technical Paper||In-Cylinder Mixing Rate Measurements and CFD Analyses|
|Technical Paper||Investigations of the Gas Injection System on a HD-CNG-Engine|
CitationWatson, N. and Kamel, M., "Thermodynamic Efficiency Evaluation of an Indirect Injection Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 790039, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790039.
- Lyn W.T., Samaga B.S. and Bowden C.M., “Rate of Heat Release in High-Speed Indirect-Injection Diesel Engines”, Proc. I.Mech.E., Vol. 184, Pt. 3J, 1969/70.
- Nakajima K., “An Experimental Research on the Air Swirl Motion and Combustion in the Swirl Chamber of Diesel Engines”, XII FISITA Congress, Barcelona, 1968.
- Jankov R., “Energie und Stro̎mungsverha̎ltnisse in Verbrenningsra̎umen von Dieselmotoren”, MTZ, 1972.
- Anisits F., “Experimentelle Bestimmung und Analytische Fassung der Brennverlaufe fur Vorkammer-Dieselmotoren als Randbedingung fur die Prozebberechnung”, Ph.D. Thesis, Tech. Univ., Carolo-Wilhelmina zu Braunschweig, W. Germany, 1973.
- Anisits F., “Pressure Development Evaluation Methods and Electronic Calculation of Combustion Process in Diesel Engines with Divided Combustion Chambers”, MTZ, No.12, December 1971 (in German).
- Asanuma T., Gaijendra Babu M.K. and Yagi S., “Simulation of Thermodynamic Cycle of 3-valve Stratified Charge Engine”, SAE 780319, 1978.
- Krieger R.B. and Borman G.L., “The Computation of Apparent Heat Release for Internal Combustion Engines”, ASME 66-WA/DGP4, 1966.
- Marzouk M., “Transient Response of Turbocharged Diesel Engines”, Ph.D. Thesis, Imperial College, University of London, 1976.
- Annand W.J.D. and Roe G.E., “Gas Flow in the Internal Combustion Engine”, Foulis, England, 1974.
- Sitkie G. and Ramanaiah G.V., “A Rational Approach for Calculation of Heat Transfer in Diesel Engines”, SAE 720027, 1972.
- Woschni G., “Die Berechnung der Wanderverbusts und der Thermischen Belastung der Bauteile von Dieselmotoren”, MTZ, Vol. 31, No. 12, 1970.
- Hassan H., “Unsteady Heat Transfer in a Motored Internal Combustion Engine Cylinder”, Proc.I.Mech.E., Vol. 185, 1970/71.
- Knight B., “The Problem of Predicting Heat Transfer in Diesel Engines”, Proc.I.Mech.E., Vol. 179, Pt. 3G, 1964/65.
- Daily J., “Chamber Dimension Effects on Induced Flow and Frictional Resistance of Enclosed, Rotating Discs”, Trans.ASME, Ser. D, Vol. 82, March 1960.
- Oguri T. and Kunitomo T., “Prediction of Radiative Heat Flux in a Diesel Engine” SAE 750786, 1975.
- Kamel M., “Thermodynamic Analysis of Indirect Injection Diesel Engine Operation”, Ph.D. Thesis, Imperial College, University of London, 1977.
- Watson N., “Combustion and Gas Properties”, Lecture 17, Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine Course, Fluid Dynamics Institute, Dartmouth College, New Hampshire, USA, August 1977.
- Marzouk M. and Watson N., “Some Problems in Diesel Engine Research with Special Reference to Computer Control and Data Acquisition”, Proc.I.Mech.E., Vol. 190, No. 23/76, 1976.