This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the Directional Response Characteristics of Double Tankers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A linear mathematical model is developed for studying the directional response and yaw stability of many-axled, multi-articulated tanker trucks. Analytical results obtained from the model provide an understanding of (1) the factors leading to unstable lateral responses of double tankers when only the rear compartment of the rear (pup) trailer is loaded and (2) the likelihood of rollover of the pup trailer in obstacle-avoidance maneuvers on the highway.
Rigidizing the connection at the pintle hook is found to improve the directional performance of the double tanker.
|Technical Paper||The Dynamic Response of Multiply-Articulated Truck Combinations to Steering Input|
|Technical Paper||Directional Control of Retarder-Equipped Heavy Trucks Operating on Slippery Surfaces|
CitationMallikarjunarao, C. and Fancher, P., "Analysis of the Directional Response Characteristics of Double Tankers," SAE Technical Paper 781064, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/781064.
- Ervin R.D. et al. “Ad Hoc Study of Certain Safety-Related Aspects of Double-Bottom Tankers.” Final Report prepared for Office of Highway Safety Planning, Michigan Department of State Police, Contract No. MPA78-002A Highway Safety Research Institute, University of Michigan May 7 1978
- Hazemoto T. “Analysis of Lateral Stability for Doubles.” SAE Paper No. 730688 June 1973
- Hales F.D. “The Rigid Body Dynamics of Road Vehicle Trains.” The Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and Tracks, Proceedings of IUTAM Symposium, Delft August 1975
- Jindra F. “Handling Characteristics of Tractor-Trailer Combinations.” SAE Transactions 74 Paper No. 650720 1965
- Gillespie T.D. Verma M. K. “Analysis of the Rollover Dynamics of Double-Bottom Tankers.” SAE 1978 Truck Meeting Dearborn, Mich. December 11-14 1978
- Ervin R.D. Winkler C.B. Bernard J.E. Gupta R.K. “Effects of Tire Properties on Truck and Bus Handling.” Final Report, Contract No. DOT-HS-4-00943 Highway Safety Research Institute, University of Michigan December 1976
- Winkler C. Ervin R. Nisonger R. “Testing the Michigan Double-Bottom Tanker.” SAE 1978 Truck Meeting Dearborn, Michigan December 11-14 1978