This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Viscosity Effects on Engine Wear Under High-Temperature, High-Speed Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Four multigrade engine oils, containing the same base oil plus SE additive package but VI improvers of differing shear stability, were evaluated in 80 000 km of high-speed, high-temperature vehicle service.
Bearing, piston ring and valve guide wear, as well as oil consumption, oil filter plugging and engine cleanliness were all worse for the engines operated on the low-shear stability oils. The wear differences were traced to differences in high-shear-rate viscosity, while the cleanliness, filter plugging and oil consumption differences occurred because of excessive wear or polymer shear degradation.
These results suggest that engine oil viscosity should be specified under high-shear-rate conditions.
|Technical Paper||Sliding Wear Behavior of Compacted Graphite Iron Cylinder Liner Material|
|Technical Paper||Vickers New PVH Variable Volume Pumps|
CitationMcMillan, M., Rosenberg, R., and Murphy, C., "Viscosity Effects on Engine Wear Under High-Temperature, High-Speed Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 780982, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780982.
- Okrent E. H. “The Effect of Lubricant Viscosity and Composition on Engine Friction and Bearing Wear,” ASLE Transactions 4 1 2 1961
- Waddey W. E. Pearce A. F. “Effects of Motor Oil Composition on Engine Wear,” SAE Paper 690774
- Appeldoorn J. K. “The Present State of Lubrication and Its Relation to Rheology,” ASME Paper 68-LKH-5
- Rosenberg R. C. “A Method for Determining the Influence of Multigraded Oils on Journal Bearing Performance,” SAE Transactions 82 1973 Paper 730483
- Rosenberg R. C. “Influence of Polymer Additives on Journal Bearing Performance,” SAE Transactions 84 1975 Paper 750692
- Stambaugh R. L. Kopko R. J. “Behavior of Non-Newtonian Lubricants in High Shear Rate Applications,” SAE Paper 730487
- Furey M. J. Appeldoorn J. K. “The Effect of Lubricant Viscosity on Metallic Contact and Friction in a Sliding System,” ASLE Transactions 5 149 159 1962
- Stambaugh R. L. Kopko R. J. “A Test Procedure for Evaluating Temporary-Shear Loss of Engine Lubricants,” SAE Paper 750379
- Stambaugh R. L. Kopko R. J. Bennett P. A. “The Relationship of Journal Bearing Wear to Multigrade Engine Oil Viscometric Properties,” SAE Paper 770627
- Bell J. C. Voisey M. A. “Some Relationships Between the Viscometric Properties of Motor Oils and Performance in European Engines,” SAE Paper 770378
- Lane G. Roberts D. C. Tims J. M. “Measurement of the Viscosity of Multigrade Oils in a Running Engine,” SAE Paper 770379
- DeHart A. O. Smiley J. O. “Imperfect Journal Geometry - Its Effect on Sleeve Bearing Performance,” SAE SP-274 Engine Bearings 7 21 October 1965
- McMillan M. L. Murphy C. K. “Temporary Viscosity Loss and Its Relationship to Journal Bearing Performance,” SAE Paper 780374
- Federal Test Method Standard 791 “Lubricants, Liquid Fuels and Related Products; Methods of Testing.”
- “Test for Shear Stability of Lubricating Oils Containing Polymers,” DIN 51 382 Procedure ASTM RDD VII-B Diesel Injector Shear Stability Task Force December 1975
- Streets W. L. Yochum K. H. Mitacek B. “Evaluation of a Butadiene-Styrene Viscosity Index Improver,” SAE Paper 760267
- Broman V. E. DeJovine J. DeVries D. L. Keller G. H. “Testing of Friction Modified Crankcase Oils for Improved Fuel Economy,” SAE Paper 780597
- Chamberlin W. B. Discussion of SAE Paper 780597 June 1978
- Wright W. A. Johnson R. H. “Rheological Properties of Automatic Transmission Fluids,” SAE Paper 680437
- Georgi C. W. “Viscosity Characteristics of Motor Oils at Higher Rates of Shear,” Proceedings of Fourth World Petroleum Congress, Section VI/C, Paper 8 1955
- Klaus E. E. Fenske M. R. “Some Viscosity-Shear Characteristics of Lubricants,” Lubrication Engineering 11 101 108 1955
- Ceresa R. J. Watson W. F. “Mastication of Rubber. VII. Mechanical Degradation of Polymers During Mastication,” J. Applied Polymer Sciences 1 101 106 1959
- Bresler S. E. Kazbekov E. N. Saminshu E. M. “Study of Macroradical Reactivity by an Electron Paramagnetic Resonance Method,” J. Polymer Science 52 119 122 1961
- Porter R. S. Johnson J. F. “Polyisobutene Degradation in Laminar Flow: Composition and Shear Variables,” J. Applied Physics 35 3149 3151 1964
- Porter R. S. Cantow M. J. R. Johnson J. F. “Polyisobutene Degradation in Laminar Flow: The Effect of Molecular Weight Distribution,” J. Polymer Science 1 12 1967
- Schilling G. J. Bright G. S. “Lubricant Additives,” Lubrication Texaco, Inc. 63 2 1977
- Kabel R. H. “An Engine-Dynamometer Test Procedure for Evaluating Oil Thickening Characteristics,” SAE Transactions 79 1970 Paper 700507
- Rodgers J. J. Kabel R. H. “A Revised Sequence IIIC Engine Oil Test,” SAE Paper 780259