This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Air Cushion and Belt Restraint Systems in Identical Crash Situations Using Dummies and Cadavera
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 1, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental program is discussed wherein fresh cadavera and anthropometric test devices (ATD) were exposed to identical crash situations utilizing both belt and air cushion restraint systems. Results will include symmetric and one-half offset frontal full size car-to-car tests conducted on the Calspan Vehicle Experimental Research Facility (VERF) at 60 MPH closing speed. Data obtained include head and chest triaxial accelerations from externally located sensors and thoracic accelerations from implanted sensors on the cadavera, normally measured internal triaxial head and chest accelerations and femur loads on the ATDs and belt loads for both cadavera and ATDs.
Osteologic data allows comparison between the cadavera regarding their relative skeletal quality.
Results of the study allow comparisons of the restraint systems effectiveness with respect to cadaver vs. cadaver and cadaver vs. ATD based upon autopsy evaluations and acceleration measurements.
This study was supported by the DOT/NHTSA under Contract Nos. DOT-HS-5-01017 and DOT-HS-6-01470, prior to 16 November 1977.
NOTE 1: The views, findings and opinions reflected in this paper are those of Calspan Corporation and do not necessarily reflect the official views of the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
NOTE 2: The work reported herein, with respect to cadavera, conforms to the guidelines of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists (1975), “Resolution Concerning Ethical Position on the Use of Human Bodies in Research.”
CitationWalsh, M. and Kelleher, B., "Evaluation of Air Cushion and Belt Restraint Systems in Identical Crash Situations Using Dummies and Cadavera," SAE Technical Paper 780893, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780893.
- “Laws, Administrative Rules and Regulations Relating to Funeral Directing,” New York State Department of Health, Revised January 1, 1974.
- Walsh M. J., Kelleher B. J.Levan W. E., “Osteologic Studies for Determining the Skeletal Quality of Cadavera Used in Crash Testing,” Fifth Annual International Workshop on Human Subjects for Biomechanical Research, October 1977.
- “Weight, Height and Selected Body Measurements of Adults, United States 1960-1962,” Series 11, No. 8, National Center for Health Statistics.
- Walsh M. J., “Comparative Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Occupant Restraint Systems in Full Scale Crashes with Dummies and Cadavera,” Calspan Report No. ZM-5763-V-10, March 1978.
- Walsh M. J. and Romeo D. J., “Results of Cadaver and Anthropomorphic Dummy Tests in Identical Crash Situations,” Paper No. 760803, Proceedings of the Twentieth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Dearborn, Michigan 1976.
- Robbins D. H., Melvin J. W.Stalnaker R. L., “The Prediction of Thoracic Impact Injuries,” Paper No. 760822, Proceedings of the Twentieth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Dearborn, Michigan, 1976.
- Patrick L. M.Levine R. S., “Injury to Unembalmed Belted Cadavers in Simulated Collisions,” Paper No. 751144, Proceedings of the Nineteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, San Diego, California, 1975.
- Padgoanker A. J., et al, “Measurement of Angular Acceleration of a Rigid Body Using Linear Accelerometers,” J. of Applied Mechanics, September 1975.
- Walsh M. J., “Sled Test Comparisons Between Three Types of Human Surrogates,” Calspan Re-Report No. ZP-5852-V-2, February 1976.
- “The Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS),” 1976 Revision, American Association for Automotive Medicine, Morton Grove, Illinois.
- Walsh M. J., “Evaluation of Occupant Protection Devices and Restraint Systems, Test No. 343 - Calman 14,” Calspan Report No. ZM-6049-V-1, June 27, 1977.
- Walsh M. J., “Evaluation of Occupant Protection Devices and Restraint Systems, Test No. 344 - Calman 15,” Calspan Report No. ZM-6049-V-2, July 1, 1977.
- Walsh M. J., “Evaluation of Occupant Protection Devices and Restraint Systems, Test No. 346 - Calman 16,” Calspan Report No. ZM-6049-V-3, July 13, 1977.
- Walsh M. J., “Evaluation of Occupant Protection Devices and Restraint Systems, Test No. 347 - Calman 17.” Calspan Report No. ZM-6049-V-4, July 19, 1977.
- Walsh M. J., “Evaluation of Occupant Protection Devices and Restraint Systems, Test No. 353 - Calman 19,” Calspan Report No. ZM-6049-V-6, August 11, 1977.