This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Promising Universal Thoracic Trauma Prediction Methodology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Analysis of experimental acceleration time history data obtained from a thoracic instrumentation array has been performed. The data were generated under test conditions which include realistic frontal impacts in belt, air bag, and steering column systems and side impacts with rigid and padded door structures. Data from frontal and lateral pendulum impacts were also included.
The results demonstrate that the instrumentation array captures sufficient information from the impact event to allow prediction of resulting thoracic trauma, defined either as thoracic AIS or total number of thoracic fractures, using a single function for each injury measure.
Each function is universal in the sense that it is valid for all test modes and directions of impact.
A strategy for developing a surrogate thorax to implement this injury predictive methodology is discussed and preliminary specifications are presented.
|Technical Paper||Biomechanics of Nonpenetrating Aortic Trauma: A Review|
|Technical Paper||Regulatory History of Automatic Crash Protection in FMVSS 208|
|Technical Paper||Design, Development and Testing of a Load-Sensing Crash Dummy Face|
CitationEppinger, R., Augustyn, K., and Robbins, D., "Development of a Promising Universal Thoracic Trauma Prediction Methodology," SAE Technical Paper 780891, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780891.
- Robbins D. H. Melvin J. W. Stalnaker R. L. “The Prediction of Thoracic Impact Injuries,” Proceedings of the Twentieth Stapp Car Crash Conference Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, Pa. 1976 697 729
- “The Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS), 1976 Revision,” American Association for Automotive Medicine Morton Grove Illinois 1976
- Furnival G. M. Wilson R. W. “Regressions by Leaps and Bounds Technometrics 16 4 1974 499 511
- Neathery R. F. Kroell C. K. Mertz H. J. “Prediction of Thoracic Injury from Dummy Responses,” Proceedings of the Nineteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, Pa. 1975 295 316
- Eppinger R. H. “Prediction of Thoracic Injury Using Measurable Experimental Parameters,” Report on the Sixth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Washington, DC October 1976 770 780