This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improved Driving Cycle for Testing Automotive Exhaust Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Data acquired from extensive studies concerning the driving behavior in European cities were analyzed and compared to driving cycles used in exhaust emission testing. The US 72 cycle is found to be a good approximation, nevertheless it should be modified. Especially its total duration and its feasibility to weight the engine warm-up phase must be optimized.
An improved driving cycle based on the US 72 cycle was developed which lasts 445 seconds. This cycle should be repeated once - using separate CVS sampling bags - so that the influence of the warm-up phase can be taken into account.
CitationKuhler, M. and Karstens, D., "Improved Driving Cycle for Testing Automotive Exhaust Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 780650, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780650.
- Kruse R.E. Huls T.A. “Development of the Federal Urban Driving Cycle” SAE-Paper No. 730 553 1973
- Stiegemeyer H. 1970
- Teague D.M. “Los Angeles Traffic Patterns Survey Vehicle Emissions” SAE Progress in Technology New York 1964 17 38
- Haas G.C. Sweeney M.P. Pattison J.N. “Laboratory Simulation of Driving Conditions in the Los Angeles Area” Vehicle Emissions, SAE Progress in Technology New York 1968 317 324
- Kearm D.H. Lamoureux R.L. “A Survey of Average Driving Patterns in the Los Angeles Urban Area” TM-(L)-4119/000/01 February 1969
- Lamoureux R.L. “Driving and Vehicle Use Patterns in Major Metropolitan Cities - Phase I.” APCA-Paper No. 72-173 June 1972
- Smith M. Manos M.J. “Determination and Evaluation of Urban Vehicle Operating Patterns” APCA-Paper No. 72-177 1972
- Chapoux E. Delpeyroux J. “French Studies of Pollution by Motor Car Exhaust Gases” International Clean-Air-Congress, Proceedings Part I Oct. 4 - 7 1966 Paper VI/2
- May H. Plassmann E. Köln 1973
- Karstens D. 16 7 8 1975 205 206
- Committee of Common Market Automobile Constructors (CCMC) Report No. N/17/77 “Proposals for a new Test Procedure for the Measurement of Exterior Noise of Passenger Cars”
- Hassel D. Weyrauther B. Juni 1975