This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Representation of Engine Data by Multi-Variate Least-Squares Regression
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Multivariate least-squares regression techniques have been developed to screen, smooth and interpolate pollutant flows, fuel flow and other parameters of engine performance required for engine control strategy optimization. These methods have been applied to mapping data accumulated at constant speed and load, that is, regression has been performed as a function of air/fuel ratio, EGR and spark timing. In addition, the method has been extended to include engine RPM and torque as additional independent variables, allowing interpolation in the speed/load plane. Concurrently, procedures related to occupancy check for valid interpolation, determination of appropriate order of fit, data set overdetermination and graphical display have been devised. Examples of practical application of regression to engine mapping data are presented. The relative simplicity and accuracy of the regression method make it a valuable tool in the engine control optimization sequence.
CitationMencik, Z. and Blumberg, P., "Representation of Engine Data by Multi-Variate Least-Squares Regression," SAE Technical Paper 780288, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780288.
- Blumberg P. N. “Powertrain Simulation: A Tool for the Design and Evaluation of Engine Control Strategies in Vehicles.” SAE Paper 760158 March 1976
- Baker R. E. Daby E. E. “Engine Mapping Methodology.” SAE Paper 770077 February 1977
- Auiler J. E. Zbrozek J. D. Blumberg P. N. “Optimization of Automobile Engine Calibration for Better Fuel Economy - Methods and Applications.” SAE Paper 770076 February 1977
- Rishavy E. A. Hamilton S. C. Ayers J. A. Keane M. A. “Engine Control Optimization for Best Fuel Economy with Emission Constraints.” SAE Paper 770075 February 1977
- Cassidy J. F. “A Computerized On-Line Approach to Calculating Optimum Engine Calibrations.” SAE Paper 770078 February 1977
- Vora L. S. “Computerized Five Parameter Engine Mapping.” SAE Paper 770079 February 1977
- Cohen J. Cohen P. “Applied Multiple Regression/Correlation Analysis of the Behavioral Sciences” Wiley 1975
- Mencik Z. Berneburg P. L. Short M. A. “A Multiple Regression Procedure for Elemental Analysis at Low Concentrations” “Advances in X-Ray Analysis,” 18 396 405 Plenum 1975