This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
MMT - A Further Evaluation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
MMT (methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl) is an antiknock additive for the unleaded gasoline that is now required for cars equipped with catalytic converters. Because of its effectiveness, MMT is economically attractive compared with achieving antiknock quality by refinery processing.
This paper updates an earlier SAE paper. Whereas the earlier paper evaluated all aspects of MMT use as an antiknock, this paper is primarily limited to analysis of the possible effects of MMT on exhaust emissions, catalyst plugging, and spark plug life. The results of recent tests and a report on a fleet test currently in progress are included.
|Technical Paper||The Environmental Implications of Manganese as an Alternate Antiknock|
|Technical Paper||Exhaust Valve Recession with Low-Lead Gasolines|
|Technical Paper||AN EVALUATION OF MANGANESE AS AN ANTIKNOCK IN UNLEADED GASOLINE|
CitationLenane, D., "MMT - A Further Evaluation," SAE Technical Paper 770656, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770656.
- “Evaluation of Low Level Manganese Usage in a Gulf Coast Refinery,” prepared by the Pace Company for Ethyl Corporation, April 1972.
- Unzelman, G.H., “An Antiknock for Unleaded Gasoline - Economic, Energy, and Environmental Aspects,” 50th Annual Fall Meeting, Western Gas Processors and Oil Refiners Assoc., Long Beach, Calif., October 3, 1975.
- Bailie, J.D., “Economics of Manganese as an Antiknock in Unleaded Gasoline,” NPRA Paper AM-76-17, Annual Meeting, National Petroleum Refiners Assoc., San Antonio, Texas, March 30, 1976.
- Faggan, J.E., Bailie, J.D., Desmond, E.A., and Lenane, D.L., “An Evaluation of Manganese as an Antiknock in Unleaded Gasoline,” SAE Paper 750925, Automobile Engineering Meeting, Society of Automotive Engineers, Detroit, October 13-17, 1975.
- “Representativeness of Unleaded Gasoline Service Accumulation Fuels,” MSAPC Advisory Circular A/C No. 26-B, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, January 7, 1977.
- Colucci, J.M., “Fuel for Thought on Current and Future Automotive Fuels,” AIChE Paper No. 67a, 83rd National Meeting, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Houston, March 20-24, 1977.
- Benson, J.D., “Review of General Motors Tests with Manganese Fuel Additive,” presented at EPA Conference on MMT Tests, Ann Arbor, Michigan, January 20, 1977.
- Everett, R.L., Letter to Mr. DeKany, Environmental Protection Agency, August 31, 1976.