This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Eliminating an Annoying Whistle From a Spur Gear Power Train
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses a methodology and associated logic which can be used to analyze a spur gear power train for sound reduction at the source of generation. The specific example discussed here involves the successful elimination of an intolerable whistle produced by the spur gear transmission of a large crawler tractor.
CitationHolton, R., "Eliminating an Annoying Whistle From a Spur Gear Power Train," SAE Technical Paper 770562, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770562.
- Harris C. M. “Handbook of Noise Control.” New York McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc. 1957
- Ruffini A. J. “Bearing Noise.” Machine Design May 9 1963
- Fieldhouse K. N. “Techniques for Identifying Sources of Noise and Vibration.” Sound and Vibration December 1970
- King R. J. Mull H. R. Schlegel R. G. “How to Reduce Gear Noise.” Machine Design February 27 1964
- Bradley W. A. “How to Design Noise Out of Gears.” Machine Design December 13 1973