This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Calculation of the Flow Field Past a Van with the Aid of a Panel Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An evaluation of a first order ‘panel’ method to predict the pressure distribution on a bluff van type vehicle body is presented. Two cases were considered: a) single vehicle with and without cross-wind, and b) the overtaking process of two identical vehicles, The latter has been treated as quasi-stationary. The theoretical model incorporates simulation of the ground and van wake, whereby the wake geometry is based on experimental information.
Extensive pressure measurements were performed with quarter scale models in a wind tunnel for the above mentioned cases. These data permit a systematic comparison with the results of theory.
CitationAhmed, S. and Hucho, W., "The Calculation of the Flow Field Past a Van with the Aid of a Panel Method," SAE Technical Paper 770390, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770390.
- Lay W.E. Is 50 Miles per Gallon Possible with Correct Streamlining? SAE 32 1933 144 156 177 186 261
- White R.G.S. A Method of Estimating Automobile Drag Coefficients SAE-Paper 690189 1969
- Carr G.W. The Aerodynamics of Basic Shapes for Road Vehicles MIRA-Rep. 1968/9
- Hirt C.W. Ramshaw J.D. Prospects for Numerical Simulation of Bluff Body Aerodynamics Los Alamos Scientific Lab. LA-UR-76-2112 Los Alamos, N.M. 1976
- Hucho W.-H. The Aerodynamic Drag of Cars - Current Understanding, Unresolved Problems, and Future Prospects Proceedings of the GM-Symposium “Aerodynamic Drag Mechanisms of Bluff Bodies and Road Vehicles” Detroit Sept. 27-28 1976
- Deutscher D. Sturm D. 1961 396 399
- Hess J.L. Smith A.M.O. Calculation of Non-lifting Potential Flow about Arbitrary Three-dimensional Bodies Douglas Aircraft Report Nr. E.S. 40622 1962
- Rubbert P.E. Saaris G.R. A General Three-dimensional Potential-flow Method Applied to VSTOL Aerodynamics SAE Air Transportation Meeting New York 1968
- Gawthorpe R.G. Aerodynamic Problems of High-speed Trains Running on Conventional Tracks High Speed Ground Vehicles, Lecture Serie 48 von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics Brussels 1972
- Marty P. Autruffe H. 1972 92 371 381
- Stafford L.G. 1974 109 118
- Landahl M.T. Numerical Modelling of Blunt-body Flows - Problems and Prospects Proceedings of the GM-Symposium “Aerodynamic Drag Mechanisms of Bluff Bodies and Road Vehicles” Detroit Sept. 27-28 1976
- Hucho W.-H. Janssen L.J. Schwarz G. The Wind Tunnel's Ground Plane Boundary Layer - Its Interference with the Flow Underneath Cars SAE-Paper 750066 Detroit 1975
- Hucho W.-H. 1972 341 351
- Howell J.P. The Influence of the Proximity of a Large Vehicle on the Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Typical Car Advances in Road Vehicle Aerodynamics BHRA Fluid Engineering 207 221 Cranfield, U.K. 1973