This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fabricating of Dense Silicon Nitride Parts by Hot Isostatic Pressing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Concerning the fabrication of advanced components of dense silicon nitride, many methods of approach have been reported on in literature. To date, none of these attempts for the fabrication of turbine rotors has been considered feasible.
The HIP process, it is believed, can offer an economically viable solution for fabrication of advanced ceramic components when the following reasons are considered:
hot isostatic pressing is a well established technique.
dense silicon nitride can be produced without any additives.
fully isotropic dense silicon nitride is achieved.
no reaction with capsule material.
high M.O.R. values at high temperatures.
consistently high Weibull m-module.
very high creep resistance.
The HIP process implies that even monolithic turbine rotors can be fabricated to final shape.
The principle of the HIP process allows production of a large number of components simultaneously, thus offering possibilities for economic production on a large scale.
|Technical Paper||Vehicle-Soil Mechanics on the Moon|
|Technical Paper||Electrochemical Diesel Particulate Filter|
|Technical Paper||Fabrication of Ceramic Components for Advanced Gas Turbine Engines|
CitationLarker, H., Adlerborn, J., and Bohman, H., "Fabricating of Dense Silicon Nitride Parts by Hot Isostatic Pressing," SAE Technical Paper 770335, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770335.
- NGK Insulators, Ltd. Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)
- Katz R.N. Lenoe E.M. Ceramic rotors for small automotive gas turbine engines - Technology assessment AMMRC SP 75-4
- Kossowsky R. Miller D.C. Diaz E.S. Tensile and creep strengths of hot-pressed Si 3 N 4 J. Mat. Science 10 1975 983 997
- Lange F.F. Diaz E.S. Anderson C.A. Tensile creep and strength testing of improved hot-pressed Si 3 N 4 American Ceramic Society 29th Pacific Coast Regional Meeting San Francisco Oct. 31 Nov. 3 1976
- Larker H. Performance and economics of HIP equipment in industrial use Proceedings from AGARD Structures and Materials Panel, Specialist meeting 6-7 April 1976 Ottawa Canada