This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
GM 980X - Potential Applications and Review
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The mechanical properties of GM 980X, a unique high strength low alloy steel with formability better than that of SAE 950X steels and the strength of SAE 980X steel in the formed component, are reviewed and the microstructure which produces these properties is described. A brief comparison is made between GM 980X and other steels with similar microstructures.
The superior formability and weight saving potential of GM 980X has been demonstrated in various component trials. Some potential automotive applications are listed and a few forming trials and qualification tests to validate component strength are described.
CitationRashid, M., "GM 980X - Potential Applications and Review," SAE Technical Paper 770211, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770211.
- Morgan E. R. Dancy T. E. Korchynsky M. J. Metals 1965 17 829 31
- Hecker S. S. Met. Eng. Quarterly 1973 13 42 48
- Maloney J. P. Heimbuch R. A. Rose L. J. Automotive Engineering 1974 82 24 32
- Rashid M. S. “GM 980X: A Unique High Strength Sheet Steel with Superior Formability” SAE Preprint 760206 February 1976
- Rashid M. S.
- Hamburg E. Bucher J. H. Butler J. F. “High Strength Formable Sheet Steel SAE Preprint February 1977
- Matsouka T. Yamamori K. Met. Trans. A 1973 6A 1613 22
- Hayami S. Furukawa T. “A Family of High Strength Cold Rolled Steels,” Micro Alloying '75, Proceedings of the Conference held in Washington D.C. October 1-3 1975
- Tither G. Lavite M. J. Metals 1975 27 15 23
- Araki K. Takoda Y. Nakoaka K. “Work Hardening of Continuously Annealed Dual Phase Steels,” 1976 Report of the Technical Research Center Nippon Kokan K.K.
- Rashid M. S. Cprek E. R.
- Tither G. Morrow J. Caldren P. Climax Molybdenum Corporation Ann Arbor, Mi. Report L-176-163 1976
- Irani I. T. Tither G. ISI 104 1967 135
- Edelson B. I. Baldwin, W. M. Jr. Trans. ASM 1962 55 230 50
- Baird J. D. Jamieson A. J. Iron and Steel Inst. 1972 210 847 56
- Tither G. Climax Molybdenum Company Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Morgan R. P. Bosch R. A. Lake P. “Steel in the Automotive Industry - Challenge and Response,” 84th General Meeting of the American Iron and Steel Institute 1976
- Kary J. J. “Weight Reduction of Automobile Bumper Systems,” SAE Preprint 760012 February 1976
- Green F. L. “Present and Future Use of Microalloyed Steels in Automobiles,” Micro Alloying '75, Proceeding of the Conference held in Washington, D.C. October 1-3 1975
- Lumm J. A. Hughes G. M. Bastian B. J. “Applications of High Strength Steels to Wheel Manufacturing,” SAE Preprint 740179 February 1974