This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Non-Linear Digital Simulation of Turbocharged Diesel Engines Under Transient Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A non-linear mathematical model has been developed to predict the transient response of a turbocharged diesel engine. The quasi-steady “filling and emptying” concept has been employed in the analysis of the thermo and fluid dynamics under transient engine conditions. In addition, by continuously evaluating the dynamic interactions of engine components, major limitations of previous linear and quasi-linear models have been overcome.
A computer controlled test-bed and high speed data logging system has been used to acquire detailed data under transient conditions (e.g injection and cylinder pressure diagrams). This data has been used to validate the model, the result being good agreement between predicted and measured engine performance.
Application of the model has proved its value in the study and optimization of design variables which affect engine performance and response time. As examples, the effects of using a fuel pump rack limiter and that of rematching the turbocharger in conjunction with an exhaust waste gate are presented.
CitationWatson, N. and Marzouk, M., "A Non-Linear Digital Simulation of Turbocharged Diesel Engines Under Transient Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 770123, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770123.
- French C.C.J. Taylor D.H. “An Investigation into Diesel Engines Operation at Very High Ratings” CIMAC 1975
- Massay A.G. Oldenburger R. “Scientific Design of a Diesel Governor” Trans.ASME, paper 58-OGP-11 1958
- Welbourn D.B. Roberts D.K. Fuller R.A. “Governing of Compression Ignition Oil Engines” Proc.I.Mech.E 173 1959
- Bowns D.E. “The Dynamic Characteristics of Reciprocating Engines” Proc.E.Mech.E 185 16 1971
- Hazell P.A. Flowers J.O. “Sampled-Data Theory applied to the Modelling and Control Analysis of Compression Ignition Engines” Int.Jl. Control 13 3 1971
- Flowers J.O. Gupta R. K. “Optimal Control Considerations of Diesel Engine Discrete Models” Int.Jl. Control 19 6 1974
- Ledger J.D. Walmsley N.D. “Computer Simulation of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine Operating Under Transient Load Conditions” SAE 710177 1971
- Ledger J.D. Benson R.S. Whitehouse N.D. “Dynamic Modelling of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine” Proc.I.Mech.E 1973
- Ledger J.D. Benson R.S. Furukawa H. “Improvements in Transient Performance of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine by Air Injection into the Compressor” SAE 730665 1973
- Benson R.S. Ledger J.D. Whitehouse N.D. Walmsley N.D. “Comparison of Experimental and Simulated Transient Responses of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine” SAE 730666 1973
- Bowns D.E. Cave P.R. Hargreaves M.R.O. Wallace F.J. “Transient Characteristics of Turbocharged Diesel Engines” Proc.I.Mech. E 1973
- Whitehouse N.D. Stotter A. Goudie G.O. Prentice B.W. “Method of Predicting some Aspects of Performance of a Diesel Engine using Digital Computers” Proc.I.Mech.E 176 1962
- Janota M.S. Hallam A.F. Brock E.K. Dexter S.G. “The Prediction of Diesel Engine Performance and Combustion Chamber Component Temperatures using Digital Computers” Proc.I. Mech.E 182 1967-68
- Streit E.E. Borman G.L. “Mathematical Simulation of a Large Turbocharged Two-Stroke Engine” SAE 710176 1971
- Janota M.S. Watson N. Barnes J.A. “Supercharging the Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engine, with special reference to Turbocharging” Thermal Power Section, Imperial College London 1976
- Benson R.S. Baruah P.C. “Some Further Tests on a Computer Program to Simulate Internal Combustion Engines” SAE 730667 1973
- Borman G.L. “Mathematical Simulation of Internal Combustion Engine Processes and Performance including Comparison with Experiment” University of Wisconsin 1964
- Powell H.N. “Applications of an Enthalpy-Fuel/Air Ratio Diagram to First Law Combustion Problems” ASME Trans. 79 1957
- Krieger R.B. Borman G.L. “The Computation of Apparent Heat Release for Internal Combustion Engines” 1966
- Marzouk M. “Simulation of Turbocharged Diesel Engines under Transient Conditions” Imperial College, University of London 1976
- Woschni G. “A Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine” SAE 670931 1967
- Wolfer H.H. 392 15 24 1938
- Wiebe I. Moscow 1956
- Woschni G. Anisits F. “Experimental Investigation and Mathematical Presentation of Rate of Heat Release in Diesel Engines Dependent upon Engine Operating Conditions” SAE 740086 1974
- Chen S.K. Flyn T. “Development of a Compression Ignition Research Engine” SAE 650733 1965
- Hamming R.W. “Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers” McGraw-Hill Book Co. 1962
- Bloxham R.D. et al “Computer Control for I.C. Engines Development” C.M.E. 19 9 1972
- Marzouk M. Watson N. “Some Problems in Diesel Engine Research with Special Reference to Computer Control and Data Acquisition” Proc.I.Mech.E 190 23 76 1976