This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
I. C. Engine Cam and Tappet Wear Experience
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The wear and modes of failure of commonly used cam and tappet materials are explored. Because of the differences in gasoline and diesel engines, the problems in these power plants are investigated separately. Successful material combinations are reviewed as are recommended techniques that will help insure desired durability levels. Some interesting cam and tappet problems and their solutions are recounted.
|Technical Paper||Material Considerations for Automobile Camshafts|
|Technical Paper||Measurement of Camshaft Wear—Wear and Kinematics of Overhead Camshafts|
|Technical Paper||EVALUATION OF WEAR IN DIESEL ENGINES BY MEANS OF ACCELERATED TESTS|
CitationAbell, R., "I. C. Engine Cam and Tappet Wear Experience," SAE Technical Paper 770019, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770019.
- Dyson A. Naylor H. “Application of the Flash Temperature Concept to Cam and Tappet Wear Problems” Proceedings of the Automobile Division, The Institution of Mechanical Engineers 8 1960-61 255 280
- Lagarde, F. DuParquet, J. 343 364 July 1965
- Coordinating Lubricant and Equipment Research Committee “Field Equipment Survey of Valve Train Wear” Coordinating Research Council In., N.Y., N.Y. November 1956
- Ayres V. etal. “Valve Train Wear as Affected by Metallurgy” SAE Transactions 66 1958 242 251
- Andrew S. Wykes F.C. Taylor R.G. “The Influence of Some Material and Lubricants Variables on the Surface Deterioration of Cams and Cam Followers” The Motor Industry Research Association Report No. 1965/4 Warwickshire, England
- Wykes F. C. “Surface Deterioration of Cams and Cam Followers” The Motor Industry Research Association, Interim Report No. 1/3 1966 Warwickshire, England
- Wykes F. C. “Summary Report on the Performance of a Number of Cam and Cam Follower Material Combinations Tested in the Mira Cam and Follower Machine” The Motor Industry Research Association Report No. 1970/3 Warwickshire, England
- Just Erwin “Determing Wear of Tappets and Cams at Volkswagen” Metal Progress August 1970 110 112 114
- Turkish Michael C. “Valve Gear Design” Detroit: Eaton Manufacturing Co. Detroit, Michigan 1946
- Bona C. F. Ghilardi F. G. “Influence of Tappet Rotation on Cam and Tappet Surface Deterioration” Automobile Div., The Institution of Mechanical Engineers Proceedings 1965-66 180 London, England