This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Test Procedures for Future Tire Noise Regulations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Highway Tire Noise Symposium
Based on the actions of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the State of California, it appears that Federal and/or state regulations on tire noise are imminent. Basic questions involving the measurement procedure and other technical problems are likely to arise in the development of such tire noise regulations. This paper treads two specific questions, the first dealing with the load/tire inflation pressure adjustments recommended in SAE J57a and the second with the effect of tire size on tire noise. Based on the limited set of data presented, it appears that either the load/tire inflation pressure recommendations of SAE J57a or the more convenient alternative of maintaining the tire inflation pressure constant at the maximum rated value with reduced loading can be used provided the loads are greater than 70- 75% of the maximum rated tire load. It also appears that compliance testing using a single tire size is feasible since sound level variations with size for tires with similar carcass construction and tread design are small.
CitationKilmer, R., "Test Procedures for Future Tire Noise Regulations," SAE Technical Paper 762034, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/762034.
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, “Transportation Equipment Noise Emission for Medium and Heavy Duty Trucks.” U. S. Federal Register 39 (210), (October 30, 1974), pp. 38338-38362.
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, “Identification of Products as Major Sources of Noise.” U. S. Federal Register 40 (103), (May 28, 1975), pp. 23105-23107.
- “California Vehicle Code.” California Highway Patrol, Sections 27502 and 27503, (1971).
- SAE Recommended Practice, Sound Levels of Highway Truck Tires - J57a, SAE Handbook.
- “Truck Noise-I, Peak A-Weighted Sound Levels Due to Truck Tires.” National Bureau of Standards, U. S. Department of Transportation Report OST-ONA-71-9, 1970.
- Tetlow D., “Truck Tire Noise.” Sound and Vibration, Vol. 5(8), (1971), pp. 17-23.
- Corcoran D. A., “Effects of Operating Parameters on Truck Tire Sounds.” Published in SP-373, “Truck Tire Noise” Warrendale: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1972, Paper 720925.
- Leasure, W. A. Jr., Corley D. M., Flynn D. R., and Forrer J. S., “Addendum to Truck Noise-I, Peak A-Weighted Sound Levels Due to Truck Tires.” National Bureau of Standards, U. S. Department of Transportation Report OST/TST-72-1, 1974.
- Leasure, W. A. Jr. and Bender E. K., “Tire-Road Interaction Noise.” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. Vol. 58(1), (1975), pp. 39-50.
- Kilmer R. D., Leasure, W. A. Jr., Corley D. M., Mathews D. E. and Shoemaker, C. O. Jr., “Truck Noise I-D, Empirical Model for Predicting In-Service Truck Tire Noise Levels.” National Bureau of Standards, U. S. Department of Transportation Report DOT-TST-76T-5, 1976.