This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tire Selection and Performance Criteria for Original Equipment of Light Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Highway Tire Noise Symposium
The purpose of this paper is to review in general terms the process of tire selection and performance criteria for light vehicles - particularly passenger cars, as seen from the viewpoint of an original equipment tire supplier.
This paper proposes the role of passenger car tires in overall community noise is minor. There is almost nothing that can be done to reduce passenger car tire noise below its current level. The author states that the noise perceived inside the car is just as important to consider as passby noise. Lastly, the author stresses that noise is only one of many factors which must be considered in designing and selecting tires for passenger cars.
|Technical Paper||Tools and Methods for Product Sound Design of Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Drive Systems Development for Off-Highway Transport|
|Technical Paper||Product modularity: Benefits capitalization in the commercial area|
CitationCampbell, K., "Tire Selection and Performance Criteria for Original Equipment of Light Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 762009, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/762009.
- Galloway W. J. Jones G. “Motor Vehicle Noise - Identification and Analysis of Situations Contributing to Annoyance.” Paper 720276 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1972
- Vargovik R. J. “Noise Source Definition - Exterior Passenger Vehicle Noise.” Paper 720274 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1972
- Veres R. E. “A Tire Noise Investigation and Test Method.” Paper 760152 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit February 1976
- Fuller W. R. “The Influence of Pavement Roughness Upon Tire/Pavement Interaction Noise Levels.” Proceedings of the Technical Program, National Noise and Vibration Control Conference March 1976
- Leasure, W. A. Jr. Bender E. K. “Tire-Road Interaction Noise.” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 58 1 July 1975