This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Anti-resonant isolation for hingeless rotor helicopters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 30, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An isolation system has been developed for hingeless rotor helicopters which has been demonstrated to be extremely effective in preventing rotor induced vibration from reaching the airframe. Named IRIS (Improved Rotor Isolation System) the system has been in development for 3 years and was first flown and is currently being demonstrated on a BO-105 helicopter. A similar system has been installed in a Company-owned UTTAS helicopter and is presently being developed through flight testing.
This paper describes some of the analytical and bench testing background of both IRIS installations and presents latest available flight data.
CitationHooper, W. and Desjardins, R., "Anti-resonant isolation for hingeless rotor helicopters," SAE Technical Paper 760893, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760893.
- Vecca A. “VIBRATION EFFECTS ON HELICOPTER RELIABILITY AND MAINTAINABILITY.” USAAMRDL Technical Report 73-11 1973
- Kidd D. L. Balke R. W. Wilson W. F. Wernicke R. K. “RECENT ADVANCES IN HELICOPTER VIBRATION CONTROL,” 26th Annual AHS National Forum Washington June 1970
- O'Leary J. J. “REDUCTION IN VIBRATION OF THE CH-47C HELICOPTER USING SELF-TUNING VIBRATION ABSORBERS,” Shock and Vibration Symposium December 1969
- Amer, K. B. Neff, J. R. “VERTICAL-PLANE PENDULUM ABSORBERS FOR MINIMIZING HELICOPTER VIBRATORY LOADS,” American Helicopter Society and NASA Ames Research Center Specialists Meeting on Rotorcraft Dynamics Moffett Field, Calif. Feb. 1974 NASA SP-352
- Taylor R. B. Teare P. A. “HELICOPTER VIBRATION REDUCTION WITH PENDULUM ABSORBERS,” 30th annual AHS National Forum Washington June 1970
- Gabel R. Reichert G. “PENDULUM ABSORBERS REDUCE TRANSITION VIBRATION” 31th Annual AHS National Forum Washington May 1975
- Von Hardenberg, P. W. Sattanis, P. B. “PRELIMINARY DEVELOPMENT OF AN ACTIVE TRANSMISSION ISOLATION SYSTEM,” 27th Annual AHS National Forum Washington May 1971
- Calcaterra, P. C. Schubert, D. W. “ISOLATION OF HELICOPTER ROTOR-INDUCED VIBRATIONS USING ACTIVE LEMENTS,” USAAVLABS Technical Report 69-8 U.S. Army Aviation Materiel Laboratories Ft. Eustis, Virginia June 1969
- Kidd, D. L. Balke, R. W. Wilson, W. F. Wernicke, R. K. “RECENT ADVANCES IN HELICOPTER VIBRATION CONTROL,” 26th Annual AHS National Forum Washington June 1970
- Flannelly, W. G. “THE DYNAMIC ANTI-RESONANT VIBRATION ISOLATOR,” 22nd Annual AHS National Forum Washington May 1966
- Rita A. D. McCarvey J. H. Jones R. “HELICOPTER ROTOR ISOLATION EVALUATION UTILIZING THE DYNAMIC ANTI-RESONANT VIBRATION ISOLATOR” 32nd Annual AHS National Forum Washington May 1976
- Shipman, D. P. White, J. A. Cronkite, J. D. “FUSELAGE NODALIZATION,” 28th National Forum of the American Helicopter Society Washington, D.C. May 1972
- DesJardins, R. A. Hooper, W. E. “ROTOR ISOLATION OF THE HINGELESS ROTOR BO-105 AND YUH-61 HELICOPTERS,” Second European Rotorcraft and Powered Lift Aircraft Forum, Paper No. 13 September 1976