This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wind Tunnel Investigation of the Effects of Installation Parameters on Truck Cooling System Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of eight installation and component parameters on cooling system heat rejection and air flow were examined in detail in a wind tunnel facility. A quarter-replicate, two level factorial test plan was followed. Within the ranges of each parameter tested, the fan characteristics and the projection of fan into the shroud are highly significant parameters. The fan to radiator distance, the radiator characteristics, and the fan tip to shroud clearance are significant parameters. The fan to engine block distance and the type of shroud are not significant parameters.
CitationTaylor, D. and Chu, A., "Wind Tunnel Investigation of the Effects of Installation Parameters on Truck Cooling System Performance," SAE Technical Paper 760832, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760832.
- French C. C. J. “Problems Arising From the Water Cooling of Engine Components.” IME Proceedings 1969-1970 184 29
- Smith L. W. et al. “Cracking in Cast Iron Diesel Engine Cylinder Heads.” IME Proceedings 1970-1971 185 58 71
- Woods L. E. et al. “Locating IC Engine Hot-Spots Using a Magnesium Borate Solution.” SAE 1974 No. 741016
- Robbins G. W. Salter C. K. “Mack's New Intercooled Six Cylinder Diesel, Maxidyne 300.” SAE 1974 No. 740622
- Pichinger R. Cartelleri W. “Combustion System Parameters and Their Effects Upon Diesel Engine Exhaust Emissions.” SAE 1972 No. 720756
- Boyd K. A. Easterly J. “Diesel Fan Clutches, Do They Save Fuel?” SAE 1974 No. 740595
- Hanks J. et al. “Diesel Truck Fan Clutches to Meet the Energy and Environmental Challenges.” SAE 1974 No. 740598
- Shrader J. T. “Cooling System Noise Reduction on Heavy Duty Diesel Trucks.” Proceeding of Noise Conference October 15-17 1973 Washington, D. C.
- Baranski, B. R. “Desinging the Engine Cooling Fan,” SAE 1974 No. 740691
- Walter J. C. Hill J. E. “Cooling Higher Horsepower Highway Diesel Engine.” SAE 1975 No. 750131
- Kling E. R. “Truck Cooling System Airflow.” SAE 1958 No. 996
- Beatenbough P. K. “Engine Cooling System for Motor-Trucks.” SAE 1967 No. 670033
- Tenkel F. G. “Computer Simulation of Automotive Cooling Systems.” SAE 1974 No. 740087
- Davenport R. A. et al. “Optimization of Vehicle Cooling Systems.” SAE 1974 No. 740089