This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pulsed Plasma lgnitor for Internal Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Preliminary test results are presented on a new type of ignition system which is designed to permit operation of an internal combustion engine in the ultralean region where there is a potential of reducing NOx emissions and increasing engine efficiency. The new ignition system utilizes electromagnetic body forces to drive the ignition kernel into the combustion chamber acting, in effect, as an extended multiple source. The high current (∼1000 amperes) produced during the ignitor discharge induces a local magnetic field of sufficient magnitude to realize a JXB body force which accelerates the discharge plasma. The system is compatible with conventional ignition systems and does not require any basic engine modifications.
CitationFitzgerald, D., "Pulsed Plasma lgnitor for Internal Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 760764, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760764.
- Dowdy M.W. Hoenh F.W. Griffin D.C. “Lean Mixture Testing and Evaluation Program” 10th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference Newark, Delaware August 17-22 1975
- Breshears R.R. Cotrill H.E. Rupe J. “Partial Hydrogen Injection and Internal Combustion Engines--Effect on Emissions and Fuel Economy,” First Symposium on Low Pollution Power Systems Development Ann Arbor, Michigan October 14-19 1973
- Hoehn F.W. Dowdy M.W. “Feasibility Demonstration of a Road Vehicle Fueled with Hydrogen-Enriched Gasoline,” Paper 749105 Ninth Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference San Francisco, California August 26-30 1974
- Steber R.F. Parks F.B. “Emission Control with Lean Operation Using Hydrogen-Supplemented Fuel,” SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, Michigan February 25 March 1 1974
- Houseman J. Hoehn F.W. “A Two-Charge Engine Concept: Hydrogen Enrichment,” Paper 741169 International Stratified Charge Engine Conference Troy, Michigan October 30 November 1 1974
- Jahn R.G. “Unsteady Electromagnetic Acceleration,” “Physics of Electric Propulsion,” McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York 1968