This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ply Steer in Radial Carcass Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The source of ply steer in radial carcass tires is out-of-plane bending to in-plane shear coupling in the tread band portion of the tire laminate. Laminate design controls the coupling and, therefore, controls ply steer. Design control is discussed and demonstrated through examples that eliminated ply steer.
Aligning torque static phase is introduced. It conceptually simplifies vehicle pull problems.
Ply steer in bias carcass tires is briefly discussed.
CitationPottinger, M., "Ply Steer in Radial Carcass Tires," SAE Technical Paper 760731, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760731.
- Gough V. E., Barson C. W., Gough S. W., and Bennett W. D., “Tire Uniformity Grading Machine”, SAE 322A, 1961.
- Lindenmuth B. E., “Tire Conicity and Ply Steer Effects on Vehicle Performance”. SAE 740074, 1974.
- Topping R. W., “Tire Induced Steering Pull”, SAE 750406, 1975.
- Massobre J. M., “Pneumatic Tires”, U.S. Patent 3,231,000 Jan. 25, 1966.
- Ashton J. E., Halpin J. C., and Petit P. H., “Primer on Composite Materials”, Technomic Publishing Co., Standford, Conn., 1969.
- Jones F. B., “Breaker Strip for Pneumatic Tires”, U.S. Patent 3,516,468, June 23, 1970.
- Pottinger M. G., “Tire with No Ply Steer Belt”, U.S. Patent 3,945,422, March 23, 1976.