This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cornering Compliance Applied to Dynamics of Rolling Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Simplified mathematical models of the automobile are useful for analyzing the design of new vehicles and for studying the dynamics of driver/vehicle systems. For this study, the equations are linearized about straight-line motion, and an orthogonal axis system is employed. Root locus techniques are used to predict the effect of roll steer on transient behavior. Frequencies and decay rates for the transfer function polynomials are approximated by simple expressions involving cornering compliances. The results facilitate physical interpretation and include the influence of roll steer on dynamic behavior.
CitationWinsor, F., "Cornering Compliance Applied to Dynamics of Rolling Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 760711, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760711.
- Segel L. “Theoretical Prediction and Experimental Substantiation of the Response of the Automobile to Steering Control.” The Institution of Mechanical Engineers London 1956
- Bundorf R. T. “The Influence of Vehicle Design Parameters on Characteristic Speed and Understeer.” Paper 670078 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1967
- Bundorf R. T. “A Primer on Vehicle Directional Control.” General Motors Engineering Publication A-2730 September 1968
- Weir D. H. Shortwell C. P. Johnson W. A. “Dynamics of the Automobile Related to Driver Control.” Paper 680194 SAE Aerospace Vehicle Flight Control System A-18 Committee Meeting February 1967
- Bundorf R. T. Leffert R. L. “The Cornering Compliance Concept for Description of Directional Control (Handling) Properties.” General Motors Proving Ground Report 2771
- Hamann W. C. “Analytical Prediction of Vehicle Handling Behavior.” Paper 670192 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1967
- Lincke W. Richter B. Schmidt R. “Simulation and Measurement of Driver Vehicle Handling Performance.” Paper 730489 SAE Automobile Engineering Meeting Detroit May 1973
- D'Azzo J. J. Houpis C. H. “Feedback Control System Analysis and Synthesis.” New York McGraw-Hill 1966 255