This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Capacity Rating of Roller Bearings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An engineering discussion of the Lundberg-Palmgren theory of contact fatigue and considerations made therein for the specific case of fatigue life prediction for roller bearings is presented. First, attention is directed toward the selection of the endurance parameter and elaboration is made upon the mechanism by which surface failure is propogated; the concepts of material strength dispersion and stressed volume; and of the Palmgren treatment leading to the concept of dynamic capacity for a contact, with subsequent extension to the cases of rotating and non-rotating raceways and bearing life prediction. Next, AFBMA and ISO standards concerning the dynamic capacity ratings of roller bearings are considered; major assumptions important to the standards development from the fatigue theory, and crucial to the understanding of inherent limitations, are illuminated. Finally, an example is presented whereby life predictions of a roller bearing application, made using exact and standards methods, are contrasted.
|Technical Paper||A Reassessment of Lambda Ratio as a Bearing Surface Fatigue Performance Indicator|
|Technical Paper||A Rating Formula for Tapered Roller Bearings|
CitationHartnett, M., "Dynamic Capacity Rating of Roller Bearings," SAE Technical Paper 760410, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760410.
- AFBMA Standard Section No. 11 “Load Ratings and Fatigue Life for Roller Bearings,” October 1972
- ISO Recommendation R281 “Roller Bearings - Methods of Evaluating Dynamic Load Ratings,” November 1962
- Lundberg G. Palmgren A. “Dynamic Capacity of Rolling Bearings,” Acta Polytechnica, Mechanical Engineering Series 1 3 7 1947
- Lundberg G. Palmgren A. “Dynamic Capacity of Roller Bearings,” Acta Polytechnica, Mechanical Engineering Series 2 4 96 1952
- Weibull W. “A Statistical Theory of the Strength of Materials,” Proceedings of the Royal Swedish Institute for Engineering Research 151 Stockholm 1939
- Hertz H. “On The Contact of Rigid Elastic Solids and on Hardness,” Miscellaneous Papers MacMillan and Co. London 1896 163 183
- Thomas H. R. Hoersch V. A. “Stresses Due to the Pressure of One Elastic Solid Upon Another,” University of Illinois Bulletin 212 1930
- Rumbarger J. H. “How Clearance Affects Life of Rolling Bearings,” Machine Design June 8 1961
- Jones A. B. Analysis of Stresses and Deflections New Departure Engineering Report 1946
- Harris T. A. “The Effect of Misalignment on the Life of Cylindrical Roller Bearings,” ASME paper 68-LUB-3
- Harris T. A. “Rolling Bearing Analysis,” John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1966
- Life Adjustment Factors for Ball and Roller Bearings ASME DESIGN GUIDE 1971