This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Degradation Effects on Motor Vehicle Exhaust Emission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A total of 600 (1968-1974) randomly selected vehicles were screened by engine parameter, safety, and idle tests. Those cars requiring major engine repairs or safety defects were rejected. Five hundred and seventy-six (576) were selected for testing and incorporated into four test groups. Each group contains 144 vehicles and are designated as the Baseline Control Group (Group I), the Inspection Group (Group II), a Manufacturer's Specification Group (Group III), and a Mandatory Maintenance and Parameter Inspection Group (Group IV).
All vehicles entering the test program received a baseline 1972 Federal CVS emission test, followed by a hot-idle test (low and 2,500 rpm). Adjustment or repair of vehicles was accomplished by Olson Laboratories for Group II and Group III vehicles. Class A garages performed maintenance on Group IV vehicles. Following the necessary maintenance, the Federal and idle tests were repeated for Group II, Group III, and Group IV vehicles. All vehicles in these groups were retested at 1- 3- 6- 9- and 12-month intervals.
|Technical Paper||Statistical Analysis of Emissions and Deterioration Rates for In-Use, High-Mileage CNG and Gasoline Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Preconditioning Effects on I/M Test Results Using IM240 and ASM Procedures|
CitationGunderson, J. and Resnick, L., "Degradation Effects on Motor Vehicle Exhaust Emission," SAE Technical Paper 760366, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760366.
- Haagen-Smit, A.J. Wayne, L.G. “Atmospheric Reactions and Scavenging Processes.” Air Pollution 2 1 Academic Press 1968
- Cable, R.D. Allen, E.R. “Atmospheric Photo-Chemistry.” Science 16 January 1970
- Brubacher, M.L. Raymond, J.C. Reduction of Vehicle Emissions by a Commercial Garage APCA paper 20 October 1967
- Roensch, M.M. Exhaust Emission Control - Maintenance vs. Inspection APCA paper 27 June 1968
- Mandatory Vehicle Emission Inspection and Maintenance California Air Resources Board, Northrop Corporation 24 November 1971
- A Study of Mandatory Engine Maintenance for Reducing Vehicle Exhaust Emissions July 1972