This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Progress of Saab Scania's Steam Power Project
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For many years we at Saab Scania have comprehensively studied the characteristics of different solutions for a steam automotive system. Since 1968 we have entirely devoted our time to a system using water as a working medium. We also use a piston engine without gearbox or clutch.
The R & D work has been concentrated on the critical components. Problems of common engineering character, such as cranking mechanism etc., have been dealt with in a very limited way. Progress of the development work can be reported when it comes to compactness. An almost complete method has been developed for the cooling system. To some degree improvements have been made regarding the steam generation system and the expander. Recently it has been possible to make a fairly good estimate of production costs. These indicate almost equal costs compared with the conventional power system.
|Technical Paper||Experimental and Analytical Evaluation of Contoured Thrust Bearings|
|Technical Paper||The Design and Development of the Hyundai Alpha Engine|
|Journal Article||Ferritic Nitrocarburizing of SAE 1010 Plain Carbon Steel Parts|
CitationPlatell, O., "Progress of Saab Scania's Steam Power Project," SAE Technical Paper 760344, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760344.
- Platell O.B. “Some contribution to the design of critical components for automotive rankine system” Paper presented at the Symp. on low Pollution Power System Development Ann Arbor, Mich. Oct. 1973 NATO/CCMS Air Pollution. Document No. 32
- Hahnemann H. W. 33 1967 1
- Jakob M. “Heat transfer” I John Wiley and Sons Inc. New York 1949
- Jakob M. “Heat transfer” II John Wiley and Sons Inc. New York 1957
- Stephan K. 64 1962
- Hahnemann H.W. Ehret L
- Platell O.B. 1974
- Dalizal R. “Durchlaufkessel, Teorie, Bau, Betrieb und Regelung” Vulkan-Verlag Clausen W Dr. Essen 1962