This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of a Butadiene-Styrene Viscosity Index Improver
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Extensive laboratory and field test data are presented on multigrade motor oils formulated with a new VI improver developed by Phillips Petroleum Company. This VI improver is a hydrogenated copolymer of butadiene and styrene. Its unique features are outstanding shear and oxidation stability, and excellent performance in Caterpillar 1-H diesel tests. Attention is focused not only on the unique features but on its overall performance in multigraded oils.
Although this VI improver was originally developed for passenger car multigrade oils, data are present to show application in truck multigrade oils, high VI hydraulic oils, automatic transmission fluids, farm tractor hydraulic fluids, and use as a VI improver and thickener in several synthetic oils.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||SAE No. 2 Friction Test Machine μPVT Test|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Automotive Gear Lubricant Viscosity Classification|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Commercial Literature Specifications - Off-Road Work Machines|
CitationStreets, W., Yochum, K., and Mitacek, B., "Evaluation of a Butadiene-Styrene Viscosity Index Improver," SAE Technical Paper 760267, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760267.
- General Motors Specification 6137-M Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid
- Federal Test Method Standard Method 3405
- Rosenberg Richard C. “The Influence of Polymer Additives on Journal Bearing Performance” Society of Automotive Engineers Paper 750692
- Stambaugh R. L. Kopko R. J. “A Test Procedure for Evaluating Temporary Shear Loss of Engine Lubricants” Society of Automotive Engineers Paper 750379
- Novak J. D. “Some Measurements of High Pressure Lubricant Rheology” Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Journal of Lubrication Technology 90 July 1968 580 591
- Novak J. D. Winer W. O. “The Effect of Pressure on the Non-Newtonian Behavior of Polymer Blended Petroleum Oils” Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Journal of Lubrication Technology 91 1969 459 463
- Boone E. F. Crouse W. W. McLaughlin J. J. “Low Temperature Fluidity of Multigrade Motor Oils” Society of Automotive Engineers Paper 710140
- “Multicylinder Test Sequences for Evaluating Automotive Engine Oils” American Society for Testing Materials 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia PA 19103
- Federal Test Method Standards 791B Method 346
- British Ministry of Defence Specification TS10033A
- Test Procedure CEC L-04-A-70