This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reducing Fuel Consumption By Means of Aerodynamic ‘Add-On’ Devices
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The scope for reduction of aerodynamic drag of passenger cars by ‘add-on’ devices has been examined by MIRA in a study sponsored by the U.K. Government. On a car of the popular ‘hatch-back’ style the drag was reduced by up to 31 per cent by these means without detriment to other aerodynamic characteristics. Fuel consumption tests with a similar car showed that with a combination of ‘add-on’ devices giving a 14 per cent drag reduction an overall fuel saving of 6 per cent could be obtained in mixed road conditions.
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Ambient Wind on a Road Vehicle's Aerodynamic Work Requirement and Fuel Consumption|
|Technical Paper||Improvement of Van Type Truck Aerodynamics|
|Technical Paper||External Flow Analysis of a Truck for Drag Reduction|
CitationCarr, G., "Reducing Fuel Consumption By Means of Aerodynamic ‘Add-On’ Devices," SAE Technical Paper 760187, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760187.
- Carr G.W. “The Aerodynamics of Basic Shapes for Road Vehicles. Part 1: Simple Rectangular Bodies.” MIRA Report No. 1968/2
- Carr G.W. “The Aerodynamics of Basic Shapes for Road Vehicles. Part 3: Streamlined Bodies.” MIRA Report No. 1970/4
- Kirsch J.W. Garg S.K. Bettes W. “Drag Reduction of Bluff Vehicles with Airvanes.” SAE Paper No. 730686 Combined Commercial Vehicle Engineering and Operations and Powerplant Meetings Chicago June 1973
- Carr G.W. “The Aerodynamics of Basic Shapes for Road Vehicles. Part 2: Saloon Car Bodies.” MIRA Report No. 1968/9
- Janssen L.J. Hucho W.H. “The Effect of Various Parameters on the Aerodynamic Drag of Passenger Cars.” Paper 14, Advances in Road Vehicle Aerodynamics 1973 B.H.R.A. Cranfield
- ‘Vehicle Fuel Economy - Effects of Aerodynamics and Gearing’ U.K. Department of Industry 1976
- Carr G.W. “Aerodynamic Effects of Underbody Details on a Typical Car Model.” MIRA Report No. 1965/7
- Carr G.W. MIRA Bulletin No. 2 1965 8 14
- Frey K. March/April 1933 67 74
- Townend H.C.H. “The Townend Ring.” Royal Aeronautical Society Journal 24 1930
- Fosberry R.A.C. White R.G.S. “The MIRA Full Scale Wind Tunnel.” MIRA Report No. 1961/8
- White R.G.S. “An Experimental Survey of Vehicle Aerodynamic Characteristics. Seventh Report.” MIRA Report No. 1970/11