This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Denting of Autobody Panels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Dynamic denting properties of aluminum and steel autobody panels have been experimentally measured under controlled conditions. Material, geometric and dynamic factors have been graphically and statistically evaluated to determine design equations. For impact velocities of 20-60 mph and sheet gauges of 0.027-0.040″, dent depths are shown as linear functions of impact velocity. This linear velocity model incorporates sheet thickness, yield strength, density and modulus of elasticity of the alloy used, as well as the geometric shape of the fabricated panel. As an example, for equal dent resistance, a panel of 2036-T4 aluminum would need to be 10-13% thicker than the same panel fabricated from 0.035″ gauge 1010-CQ steel.
|Technical Paper||Denting Properties of Aluminum Autobody Components|
|Technical Paper||An Optimized Aluminum Alloy (X6111) for Auto Body Sheet Applications|
|Technical Paper||Aluminum Tube Hydroforming: Formability and Mechanical Properties|
CitationBurley, C., Niemeier, B., and Koch, G., "Dynamic Denting of Autobody Panels," SAE Technical Paper 760165, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760165.
- Goldsmith W. Liu T. W. Chulay S. “Plate Impact and Perforation by Projectiles.” Experimental Mechanics 5 385 December 1965
- Engel O. G. “Pits in Metals Caused by Collision With Liquid Drops and Soft Metal Spheres.” National Bureau of Standards Journal of Research 62 229 1959
- Engel O. G. “Basic Research on Liquid-Drop-Impact Erosion.” NASA Report CR-1559 June 1970
- Engel O. G. “Model for Multiple-Drop-Impact Erosion of Brittle Solids.” NASA Technical Memorandum 33-354 Hays L. G. June 15 1967
- Linderman R. B. Rotz J. V. Yoh G. C. K. “Design of Structures for Missile Impact.” Bechtel Power Corporation Topical Report No. BC-TOP-9 September 1974
- Weaver James H. “Electroplated Nickel Rain Erosion Resistant Coating.” U. S. Air Force, Air Force Materials Laboratory January 1968
- DiCello J. A. George R. A. “Dent Resistance of Automobile Body Panels.” Chrysler Corporation Technical Report No. 11549.1 June 1974
- Niemeier B. A. “Dent Resistance of Aluminum Cans.” Reynolds Metals Company Technical Report December 15 1961
- Hauser F. E. “Techniques for Measuring Stress-Strain Relations at High Strain Rates.” Experimental Mechanics 6 395 August 1966