This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Test Procedures for the Evaluation of Aerodynamic Drag on Full-Scale Vehicles in Windy Environments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Procedures for conducting full-scale coast down tests for the purpose of determining the aerodynamic drag forces on tractor-trailer trucks are presented. Tests were conducted on the baseline vehicle and on the baseline vehicle modified with drag reduction devices. Techniques for the evaluation of mechanical drag forces prior to the coast-down tests are given and a description of the instrumentation is included.
CitationWalston, W., Buckley, F., and Marks, C., "Test Procedures for the Evaluation of Aerodynamic Drag on Full-Scale Vehicles in Windy Environments," SAE Technical Paper 760106, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760106.
- Montoya L.C. and Steers L.L., “Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Tests on a Full-Scale Tractor-Trailer Combination with Several Add-On Devices.” NASA TMX-56028, December 1974.
- Lissaman P.B.S. and Lambie J.H., “Reduction of Aerodynamic Drag of Large Highway Trucks.” Proceedings of the NSF/DOT Conference on Reduction of the Aerodynamic Drag of Trucks, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, October 1974.
- Anderson J.W., Firey J.C., Ford P.W., and Kieling W.C., “Truck Drag Components by Road Test Measurement.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 73, p. 148, 1965.
- Buckley F.T. and Sekscienski W.S., “Comparisons of Effectiveness of Commercially Available Devices for the Reduction of Aerodynamic Drag on Tractor-Trailers.” Proceedings of SAE West Coast Meeting, Seattle, Washington, August 1975.
- Marks C.H., Buckley F.T., and Walston W.H., “An Evaluation of the Aerodynamic Drag Reductions Produced by Various Cab Roof Fairings and a Gap Seal on Tractor-Trailer Trucks.” Proceedings of 1976 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, February 1976.
- Buckley F.T., Walston W.H., and Marks C.H., “Analysis of Coast-Down Data to Assess the Aerodynamic Drag Reduction on Full-Scale Tractor-Trailer Trucks in Windy Environments.” Proceedings of 1976 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, February 1976.
- MacCready P.B. and Jex H.R., “Response Characteristics and Meteorological Utilization of Propeller and Vane Wind Sensors.” Journal of Applied Meteorology, Vol. 3, p. 182, 1964.