This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Mathematical Characteristics of Steady State, Low Slip Angle Force and Moment Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1976 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects of tire break-in, roll-to-equilibrium, and mathematical modeling of the tire force and moment data on the evaluation of low slip angle tire lateral force and aligning torque properties is discussed. It is shown that a standardized break-in and testing sequence are critical to valid comparisons of tire lateral force and aligning torque data. The tire relaxation length data required in the design of a steady state lateral force and aligning torque test is presented. The third order polynomial model is proven to be the simplest adequate model for determining cornering coefficient and aligning torque coefficient.
CitationPhelps, R., Pelz, W., Pottinger, M., and Marshall, K., "The Mathematical Characteristics of Steady State, Low Slip Angle Force and Moment Data," SAE Technical Paper 760031, 1976, https://doi.org/10.4271/760031.
- Ervin R. D. Grote P. Francher P.S. MacAdam C.C. Segel L. “Vehicle Handling Performance” HSRI Report Highway Safety and Research Institute, University of Michigan Ann Arbor 1 Nov. 1972
- Martin J. F. “Force and Moment Characteristics of Passenger Car Tires” Calspan Report YD-3160-K-1 Calspan Corp. Buffalo N. Y. October 1973
- Gough, V. E. “Practical Tire Research” Trans. SAE 64 1956 310
- Clark S. K. “Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires” NBS Monograph 1971 648
- Bergman W. Beauregard C. “Transient Tire Properties” Paper 740068 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, Michigan Feb. 1974
- Graybill F. A. “An Introduction to Linear Statistical Model” McGraw-Hill New York 1961
- Dutka A. F. Ewens F.J. “A Method for Improving the Accuracy of Polynomial Regression Analysis” Jounal of Quality Technology October 1971
- Schuring D. J. “Nonlinear Cornering Force Variations at Small Slip Angles, ” ASTM Committee F - 9 on Tire Symposium on Off-the-road Tire Performance and Cornering Characteristics of On-road Tires Akron, Ohio Nov. 1974
- Nordeen D. L. “Application of Tire Characterizing Functions to Tire Development” SAE 680409 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress 1968
- Draper N. R. Smith H. “Applied Regression Analysis” John Wiley and Sons 1966 81 85