This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cadaver Skeletal Response to Blunt Thoracic Impact
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1975 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Sternal and/or spinal acceleration data from eighteen of the unembalmed cadaver, blunt thoracic impact experiments reported by the authors at the Eighteenth Stapp Conference have been analyzed and several related response parameters computed.
High acceleration levels, rates of onset, and Gadd Severity Indices were found in sternal acceleration measurements, whereas quite low values were obtained from the spinal regions in the same tests. A Severity Index value of 1000, computed from a sternal acceleration measurement, would be associated with only a mild exposure; whereas for a spinal measurement, the same value would reflect an extremely severe exposure.
Correlation matrices which include cadaver characteristics, input and response parameters, and Abbreviated Injury Scale ratings show that none of the sternal acceleration parameters correlate well with AIS rating in the analyzed data base. Maximum spinal velocity and spinal Severity Index both indicate good correlations with AIS rating; but because of an obvious dependence on the degree of body restraint, they are regarded as less broadly applicable and, therefore, less useful than normalized chest deflection for the indication of severity of thoracic impact exposure.
CitationNahum, A., Schneider, D., and Kroell, C., "Cadaver Skeletal Response to Blunt Thoracic Impact," SAE Technical Paper 751150, 1975, https://doi.org/10.4271/751150.
- Kroell C. K. Schneider D. C. Nahum A. M. “Impact Tolerance and Response of the Human Thorax II,” SAE paper 741187 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1974 383
- States J. M. Fenner, H. J. Jr. Flamboe E. E. Nelson W. D. Hames L. N. “Field Application and Research Development of the Abbreviated Injury Scale,” SAE paper 710873 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1972 710
- Kroell C. K. Schneider D. C. Nahum A. M. “Impact Tolerance and Response of the Human Thorax,” SAE paper 710851 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1972 84
- Nahum A. M. Gadd C. W. Schneider D. C. Kroell C. K. “Deflection of the Human Thorax Under Sternal Impact,” SAE paper 700400 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1970 797
- Neathery R. F. Kroell C. K. Mertz H. J. “Prediction of Thoracic Injury from Dummy Responses,” SAE paper 751151 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers November 17-19 1975
- Yamada H. “Strength of Biological Materials.” Baltimore, MD: The Williams and Wilkens Co. 1970
- Clairborne J. K. “DTSS Library Programs.” TMO10, Kiewit Computation Center, Dartmouth College Hanover, NH November 1974