This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Road and Dynamometer Tire Power Dissipation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1975 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Torque-to-force and angular-to-translational velocity relationships for a driving tire are demonstrated to be associated with a radius significantly greater than and apparently independent of loaded height. Analyses and experiments which defined the above indicate the “rolling resistance moment” to be functionally dependent on loaded deflection of the driving tire and not directly related to power consumption.
Power dissipation through driving tire slip is derived and supported by experiments. Prior research, real road, single roll dynamometer, and twin roll dynamometer measurements are re-interpreted with the above corrections.
|Technical Paper||Theoretical Prediction of Test Variable Effects, Including Twin-Rolls, on Rolling Resistance|
|Technical Paper||Development of Mack Trucks' CH600 Conventional Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||Making A Road Simulator Simulate|
CitationCrum, W., "Road and Dynamometer Tire Power Dissipation," SAE Technical Paper 750955, 1975, https://doi.org/10.4271/750955.
- Coulomb C. A. 1821
- Seitz N. Munich 1967
- Lippman S. A. Oblizajek K. L. “The Distributions of Stress Between the Tread and the Road for Freely Rolling Tires.” SAE 740072 April 7 1975
- Schuring D. J. Bird K. D. Martin J. F. “Power Requirements of Tire and Fuel Economy.” Tire Science and Technology November 1974
- Roberts G. B. “Power Wastage in Tires.” Proceedings International Rubber Conference November 1959
- Turley J. A. “Engineering Aspects of Tyre Testing.” London The Institution of Mechanical Engineers 185 74 71 November 1971
- Petrushov V. A. “On Some Correctives to Coulomb's Law as Applied to Rolling of an Automobile Elastic Wheel” Moscow NAMI 1969
- Petrushov V. A. Strigin I. A. “A Study of Tangential Elasticity of Motor Vehicle Tires.” Moscow Proceedings of NAMI 1968
- Crum W. B. McNall R. G. “Effects of Tire Rolling Resistance on Vehicle Fuel Consumption.” Tire Science and Technology February 1975