This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Techniques of Structural Vibration Analysis Applied to Diesel Engine Noise Reduction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1975 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents several techniques used to define quantitatively the problem of excessive noise through engine structural vibration. These techniques include both operating engine tests and bench tests. In addition, analytical techniques are shown which give a better understanding of how the critical components within the engine cause this vibration.
Through the use of analytical and experimental techniques, examples illustrate practical solutions for diesel engine noise reduction.
CitationLane, R., Timour, S., and Hawkins, G., "Techniques of Structural Vibration Analysis Applied to Diesel Engine Noise Reduction," SAE Technical Paper 750835, 1975, https://doi.org/10.4271/750835.
- Kuehner H. K., “Turbocharging as a Means of Diesel Engine Noise Reduction.” Paper Presented at 4th Annual Institute of Noise Control in Internal Combustion Engines, U. of Wisconsin, January 1972.
- Zimmerman K. D., “The Noise Produced by Injection Pump and Its Relation to Total Diesel Engine Noise.” Paper 690449 Presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Chicago, May 1969.
- Ungar E. E. and Ross D., “Vibration and Noise Due to Piston Slap in Reciprocating Machinery.” J. Sound & Vib., 2, (2), 1965, pp. 132-146.
- Hanaoha M. and Fukumura S., “A Study of Valve Train Noises and a Method of Cam Design to Reduce the Noises.” Paper 730247 Presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1973.
- Thien G. E., “The Use of Specially Designed Covers and Shields to Reduce Diesel Engine Noise.” Paper 730244 Presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1973.
- Russell M. F., “Reduction of Noise Emissions from Diesel Engine Surfaces.” Paper 720135 Presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1972.
- Kirk E. K. and Krull D. R., “Caterpillar 3400 Series Engines.” SAE Paper 740038 Presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, February 1974.
- Jenkins S. H. and Kuehner H. K., “Diesel Engine Noise Reduction Hardware for Vehicle Noise Control.” SAE Paper 730681 Presented at Combined Commercial Vehicle Engineering and Operations and Powerplant Meetings, Chicago, Illinois, June 1973.
- Russell M. F., “Automotive Diesel Engine Noise and Its Control.” SAE Paper 730243 Presented at the SAE Automotive Engineering Conference, January 1973.
- Priede T., Austen A. E. W. and Grover E. C., “Effect of Engine Structure on Noise of Diesel Engines.” Proceedings Institute of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 179 Part 2A No. 4, 1964-1965.
- Tiede D. D. and Kabele D. F., “Diesel Engine Noise Reduction by Combustion and Structural Modifications.” SAE Paper 730245 Presented at the SAE Automotive Engineering Conference, January 1973.
- Jenkins S. H., Lalor N. and Grover E. C., “Design Aspects of Low Noise Diesel Engines.” SAE Paper 730246, SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1973.
- Thien G. E., “Methods and Problems in Noise Reduction on High Speed Diesel Engines.” SAE Paper 680407, SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Detroit, May 1968.
- Seybert A. F., “Estimation of Contributed Noise Levels of Diesel Engine Components from Vibration Measurement.” SAE Paper 750160, SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, February 1975.
- Fielding B. J. and Skorecki J., “Identification of Mechanical Sources of Noise in a Diesel Engine: Sound Originating from Piston Slap.” Institute of Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, Vol. 184 Part 1, Number 46, 1969-1970.
- Haddad S. H., Pullen H. L., and Priede T., “Relation Between Combustion and Mechanically Induced Noise in Automotive Diesel Engines.” Paper A-2-4, FISITA Congress, Paris, 1974.
- Halvorsen W. G. and Peter A. F., “Application of Structural Dynamic Analysis Technique to Engine Noise Control.” Paper Presented at 6th Annual Institute of Noise Control in Internal Combustion Engines, U. of Wisconsin, January 1974.
- Den Hartog J. P., “Mechanical Vibrations.” McGraw-Hill Book Inc., N.Y., 1947.
- Brock J. T., “Application of Bruel and Kjaer Measuring Systems to Mechanical Vibration and Shock Measurements.” Bruel & Kjaer, Denmark.
- Ungar E. E. and Dietrich C. W., “High Frequency Vibration Isolation.” Journal of Sound and Vibration 4 (2), 1966, pp. 224-241.