This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Studying Scavenge Flow in a Two-Stroke Cycle Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1975 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The study of scavenge flow in two-cycle engines is of great importance in the development of that type of internal combustion engine and has been extensively covered by numerous researchers over the last half -century. Alfred Jante in SAE paper 680468 suggested an indirect and comparative test for the assessment of scavenge flow which he, and others, have shown to be both a simple and extremely relevant technique. The acquisition and reduction of data for this experimental method proved to be laborious and time consuming, and it is the purpose of this paper to show that it is possible to eliminate these tedious aspects by automation of both data recording and processing. This is described and examples of its usage are given.
CitationBlair, G., "Studying Scavenge Flow in a Two-Stroke Cycle Engine," SAE Technical Paper 750752, 1975, https://doi.org/10.4271/750752.
- Wallace F. J. Nassif M. H. Air Flow in a Naturally Aspirated Two-Stroke Engine Proc. I. Mech. E. 168 1954 515
- Blair G. P. Cahoon W. L. “A More Complete Analysis of Unsteady Gas Flow through a High-Specific-Output Two-Cycle Engine SAE Transactions 81 1972 paper 720156
- Rizk W. “Experimental Studies of the Mixing Processes and Flow Configurations in Two-Cycle Engine Scavenging.” Proc. I. Mech. E. 172 1958 417
- Sammons H. “A Single-Cycle Test Apparatus for Studying “Loop Scavenging” in a Two-Stroke Engine.” Proc. I. Mech. E. 160 233
- Percival W. H. “Method of Scavenging Analysis for Two-Stroke-Cycle Diesel Cylinders” SAE Cleveland Meeting October 26th 1954
- Martini C. Oggero M. “Experimental Methods for the Discovery of Two-Stroke Engine Scavenging” Paper 710145 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1971
- Dedeoglu N. “Model Investigations on Scavenging and Mixture Formation in the Dual -Fuel or Gas Engine” Sulzer Tech. Rev 51 3 1969 133
- Kannapan A. “On Model Investigations pertaining to Scavenging in Two-Stroke Diesel Engines” ASME Paper 71-DGP-8 April 18th-22nd 1971
- Köthe H. “Effect of Non-Symmetrical Scavenging on the Performance of Crankcase-Scavenged Two-Stroke Cycle Spark Ignition Engines” Kraftfahrzeugtechnik 1 1965 3 4 1960 123
- Jante A. “Scavenging Flow Ducts of 3-Cyl 2-Stroke Cycle Engines” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680468
- Akiyama Y. et al. “Scavenging of Two-Stroke Engines” Hainen Kikan 3 29 November 1964 16
- Aoyama T. et al. “Abnormal Combustion in Two-Cycle Motorcycle Engines” Bull. J. S. A. E. November 1974 57 433
- Blair G. P. Johnston M. B. “The Development of a High Performance Motorcycle Engine” Proc. I. Mech. E. 1970 71 185 273
- Blair G. P. Cahoon W. L. “Design and Initial Development of a High-Specific Output 500 cc Single Cylinder, Two-Stroke, Racing Motorcycle Engine” Paper 710082 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit Jan. 1971