This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Status Report on NASA Two-Segment Approach Program
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1975 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
NASA, in cooperation with the FAA, is evaluating the two-segment approach as a routine procedure for reducing aircraft noise. The program calls for separate flight evaluations using a 727 and a DC-8, and an extrapolation of these results to determine the adaptability of the technique to the rest of the fleet. After a review of the total program, this paper presents (i) the profile and procedures developed and the noise reduction achievable, (ii) the vortex characteristics behind an aircraft on a two-segment path, and (iii) cost estimates for retrofitting aircraft with two-segment avionics.
CitationDenery, D., Bourquin, K., Drinkwater, F., Shigemoto, F. et al., "Status Report on NASA Two-Segment Approach Program," SAE Technical Paper 750594, 1975, https://doi.org/10.4271/750594.
- Zalovcik J. A., “Effect of Thrust and Altitude in Steep Approaches on Ground Track Noise,” NASA TN D-4241, Nov. 1967.
- Sawyer R. H. and Schaeffer W. T., “Operational Limitations in Flying Noise-Abatement Approaches,” NASA TN D-5497, Oct. 1969.
- Chubboy R. A., “An Operational Evaluation of the Two-Segment Approach for Noise Abatement,” FAA-RD-71-72, April 17, 1972.
- Meyersburg R. B. and Williams C. H., “Two-Segment Noise Abatement Approach to Landing,” presented at the International Conference on the Reduction of Noise and Disturbance Caused by Civil Aircraft, sponsored by the Great Britain Board of Trade, London, Nov. 1966.
- Quigley H. C., Snyder C. T., Fry E. G., Power L. J., and Innis R. C., “Flight and Simulation Investigation of Methods for Implementing Noise Abatement Landing Approaches,” NASA TN D-5781, May 1970.
- Denery D. G., White K. C., and Drinkwater F. J. III, “Resume of the Status and Benefits of the Two-Segment Approach and its Applicability to the Jet Transport Fleet,” AIAA Paper 74-978, presented at the AIAA 6th Aircraft Design, Flight Test and Operations Meeting, Los Angeles, California, Aug. 1974.
- Denery D. G., Bourquin K. R., White K. C., and Drinkwater F. J. III, “Flight Evaluation of Three-Dimensional Area Navigation for Jet Transport Noise Abatement,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 10, No. 4, April 1973, pp. 226-231.
- Rogers R. A., Wohl B., and Gale C. M., “Flight Evaluation of Two-Segment Approaches for Jet Transport Noise Abatement,” NASA CR 114735, June 1973.
- Morrison J. A. and Stimeley R. L., “An Operational Look at the Two-Segment Approach,” presented at the AIAA 6th Aircraft Design, Flight Test and Operations Meeting, Los Angeles, California, Aug. 1974.
- Wehrend W. R., Bourquin K. R., and Shigemoto F. H., “A Review of Two-Segment Approach System Performance Based on Flight Test Results,” presented at the AIAA 6th Aircraft Design, Flight Test and Operations Meeting, Los Angeles, California, Aug. 1974.
- Schwind G. K., Morrison J. A., Nylen W. E., and Anderson E. B., “Operational Flight Evaluation of the Two-Segment Approach for Use in Airline Service,” NASA CR 2515, Jan. 1975.
- Glass R. E. and Tanner Carole S., “Noise Measurements at Stockton Airport Obtained During Engineering Evaluations of Two-Segment Approaches in a 727-222 Aircraft,” NASA CR 114689, April 1974.
- Glass R. E., “Noise Measurements Taken at Stockton Airport During Operational Evaluation of Two-Segment Approaches in a DC-8-61 Aircraft,” NASA CR 114740, May 1974.
- Tanner Carole S. and Glass R. E., “Noise Measurements Obtained During Engineering Evaluation of Two-Segment Approaches in a 727-200 Aircraft,” NASA CR 114691, Jan. 1974.
- Barber M. R., Kurkowski R. L., Garodz L. J., et. al., “Flight Test Investigation of the Vortex Wake Characteristics Behind a Boeing 727 During Two-Segment and Normal ILS Approaches,” NASA TM X-62,398, Jan. 1975.
- Allison R. L., “Applicability of NASA (ARC) Two-Segment Approach Procedures to Boeing Aircraft,” NASA CR 114678, Jan. 1974.
- Painter J. A. and Shannon J. H., “A Study to Determine the Applicability of Noise Abatement Approach Procedures to McDonnell-Douglas Aircraft,” NASA CR 114677, Dec. 1973.
- Holford Fred, Oliver Richard, Shapiro Nathan, and Throndsen E. O., “Applicability of Noise Abatement Approach Procedures to the Lockheed L-1011 Aircraft,” NASA CR 137518, July 1974.