This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Low-Speed Airfoils by Numerical Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1975 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A practical procedure for the optimum design of low-speed airfoils is demonstrated. The procedure uses an optimization program based on a gradient algorithm coupled with an aerodynamic analysis program that uses a relaxation solution of the in viscid, full-potential equation. The analysis program is valid for both incompressible and compressible flow, thereby making optimum design of high-speed, shock-free airfoils possible. Results are presented for the following three constrained optimization problems at fixed angle of attack and Mach number: (i) adverse pressure-gradient minimization, (ii) pitching-moment minimization, and (iii) lift maximization. All three optimization problems were studied with various aerodynamic and geometric constraints.
CitationHicks, R. and Vanderplaats, G., "Design of Low-Speed Airfoils by Numerical Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 750524, 1975, https://doi.org/10.4271/750524.
- Stevens W.A., Goradia S.H., and Braden J.A., “Mathematical Model for Two-Dimensional Multi-Component Airfoils in Viscous Flow.” NASA CR-1843, July 1971.
- Vanderplaats Garret N., “CONMIN-A FORTRAN Program for Constrained Function Minimization.” NASA TM X-62,282, 1973.
- Jameson Antony, “Transonic Flow Calculations for Airfoils and Bodies of Revolution.” Grumann Aerodynamics Rept. 390-71, December 1971.
- Liebeck R.H., “A Class of Airfoils Designed for High Lift in Incompressible Flow.” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 10, No. 10, October 1973.
- Wortman F.X., “Design of Airfoils With High lift at Low and Medium Subsonic Mach Numbers.” AGARD CP102, April 1972.
- McCullough G.B. and Gault D.E., “Examples of Three Representative Types of Airfoil Section Stall at Low Speed.” NASA TN 2502, 1951.
- Hicks Raymond M., Murman Earll M., and Vanderplaats Garret N., “An Assessment of Airfoil Design by Numerical Optimization.” NASA TM X-3092, July 1974.