This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wind Tunnel and Flight Development of Spoilers for General Aviation Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1975 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Wind tunnel tests have been carried out to develop a spoiler lateral control system for use with the GA(W)-1 airfoil with a 30% Fowler flap. Tests show that unfavorable aerodynamic interactions can occur between spoiler and flap for large flap deflections. Providing venting of lower surface air through the spoiler opening substantially improves performance. Results of tests with a number of spoiler and cavity shapes are presented and discussed.
Applications of two-dimensional wind tunnel results to the design of satisfactory manual lateral control systems are discussed.
|Technical Paper||APPLICATIONS OF ADVANCED AERODYNAMIC TECHNOLOGY TO LIGHT AIRCRAFT|
|Technical Paper||Underbody Drag Reduction Study for Electric Car Using CFD Simulations|
|Technical Paper||Numerical Flow Simulations of a Detailed Car Underbody|
CitationWentz, W., Seetharam, H., and Calhoun, J., "Wind Tunnel and Flight Development of Spoilers for General Aviation Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 750523, 1975, https://doi.org/10.4271/750523.
- Wentz, W.H. Jr. “New Airfoil Sections for General Aviation Aircraft.” Paper 730876 SAE National Business Aircraft Meeting Wichita April 1973
- Wentz, W.H. Jr. Seetharam H.C. “A Fowler Flap System for a High Performance General Aviation Airfoil.” Paper 740365 SAE National Business Aircraft Meeting Wichita April 1974
- Roskam J. Kohlman D.L. Wentz, W.H. Jr. “Spoilers for Roll Control of Light Airplanes.” AIAA Paper No. 74-861 1974
- Wenzinger Carl J. Rogallo Francis M. “Wing Tunnel Investigation of Spoiler, Deflector and Slot Lateral-Control Devices on Wings with Full-Span Split and Slotted Flaps.” NACA Report 706 1940
- Wentz, W.H. Jr. “Effectiveness of Spoilers on the GA(W)-1 Airfoil with a High Performance Fowler Flap.” Aeronautical Report AR 74-2 Wichita State University 1974
- Crane H.L. McGhee R.J. Kohlman D.L. “Applications of Advanced Aerodynamic Technology to Light Aircraft.” Paper 730318 SAE National Business Aircraft Meeting Wichita April 1973