This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Propeller Modulation Effects on a Scanning-Beam Microwave Landing System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1975 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The results of a systems study and ground test of the effects of propeller modulation on a time-multiplexed, scanning-beam microwave landing system (MLS) are presented. Propeller modulation effects are analyzed in terms of spacing between receiving antenna and propeller, propeller blade width, and propeller speed. Principal study conclusions: (1) scanning beam MLS is susceptible to errors due to synchronous propeller modulation; (2) the number of synchronous interference multiples increases as the number of propeller blades increases and as the data rate decreases; (3) the probability of synchronous interference decreases at higher data rates; and (4) MLS receiver susceptibility to propeller modulation depends upon the dynamic response of the receiver automatic gain control and the respective tracking loops.
CitationPope, J. and Staehle, W., "Propeller Modulation Effects on a Scanning-Beam Microwave Landing System," SAE Technical Paper 750521, 1975, https://doi.org/10.4271/750521.
- , “Analysis of the General Aviation Requirements for the 1980's,” Interim Presentation to NASA-Ames Research Center, Decision Science Corporation, Feb. 14, 1973.
- Adams G. D., “Evaluation of STOL Modular Instrument Landing System (MODILS),” National Aviation Facilities Experimental Center (NAFEC), Rept. FAARD-72-4, May 1972.
- Bullington K., “Radio Propagation Fundamentals,” Bell System Technical Journal, vol. 36, no. 3, May 1957, pp. 607-608.
- Dumas K. L. and Sands L. G., “Microwave Systems Planning,” Hayden Book Co., Inc., 1967,pp. 15-20.
- Hessemer R. A. and Hoehn A. J., “MLS Propeller Modulation Model,” under FAA Order Wl-75-5345-1, Dec. 5, 1974.
- Scanning Beam Working Group, “Propeller Modulation,” CSB no. 33, Dec. 9, 1974.
- Stone John M., “Radiation and Optics,” McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., 1963, pp. 190-199.
- Hund August, “Short Wave Radiation Phenomena,” McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., 1952, p. 1042.
- Pope J. M. and Staehle W. H., “Propeller Modulation Effects on a Scanning Beam Microwave Landing System,” NASA TM X-62,368, July 1974.
- Perper L. J., “Propeller Modulation in MLS,” Dec. 18, 1974.
- Final Report of the MLS Scanning Beam Working Group, MLS Technique Assessment, Dec. 1974.
- Doppler Working Group: Propeller Modulation, vol. 2, Nov. 26, 1974.
- Brindley A. E., Calhoun L. C., Patton R. H., and Valcik L., “Analysis, Test, and Evaluation Support of the USAF Advance Landing System Program,” Air Force Flight Dynamics Laboratory (AFFDL) TR-74-62, May 1974.