This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experiment and Accident: Comparison of Dummy Test Results and Real Pedestrian Accidents
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To clarify to what extent the results gained from known automobile-pedestrian impact experiments may be applied to actual accidents, comparisons with the analysis of actual accidents and comparable experiments were made with particular attention to the pattern of damage and the throw distances of the pedestrians. These results produced parameters that should be of additional use in forensic practice for defining the location of collision on the roadway.
The injury patterns sustained by pedestrians involved in traffic accidents were related to vehicle damage and classified with respect to impact geometry. From the conclusions drawn from the pedestrians' motions, impact stress, and tolerance, experimental results may well be applied to the reconstruction of actual automobile-pedestrian collisions. However, this is true only within distinct classes of impact geometry, characterized by automobile front-end design, pedestrian size, and impact position.
CitationSchneider, H. and Beier, G., "Experiment and Accident: Comparison of Dummy Test Results and Real Pedestrian Accidents," SAE Technical Paper 741177, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/741177.
- Severy D.M. Brink H.M. “Auto-Pedestrian Col-usion Experiments.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 660080
- Severy D.M. “Auto-Pedestrian Impact Experiments.” The Seventh Stapp Car Crash Conference-Proceedings Springfield, Ill. Charles C. Thomas 1965 345
- Elsholz J. Information Lahr. Germany 69 1969 3
- Taneda K. 6 JARI, Tokyo 1972
- Appel H. Kühnel A. Rau H. Forschungsbericht 183 Institut für Kraftfahrzeuge TU Berlin 1973
- Beier G. Beiträge z. gerichtl Medizin XXXI 1973 5
- Slibar A. Seminar über Analyse und Rekonstruktion von Unfallvorgängen Munich 1971
- Pfriem D. University of Munich, Faculty of Med. 1974
- Ziffer D. Henn R. Zbl. Verkehrs-Med. 13 1967 193
- Marosek H. University of Munich Faculty of Med.
- Zehnder M. A. Schweiz, med. Wschr. 85 1955 203